22

I feel an odd sensation of spinning. Then all fades. I open my eyes. Caked in sweat and tears, I struggle to look up. I see Felix beside me. I tilt my head as much as possible to gaze into his glistening face. He's also covered in sweat. Felix seems just as tired as me, but he shoots me a concerned stare. I nod back, trying to reassure him that I'm fine. I look up at the blank screens. I was the last one out. What did the others see? What did Felix go through? Felix seems more relaxed than Brianne, so he must have came out first. Is that a bad thing? Is he going to be executed? Jeanine watches us carefully, as if trying to predict our outcomes. "Who came first?" I ask.

"I predict that you'll be first. I don't think it possible to be slow and get a terrible percentage. I assume that Felix will be last." Jeanine says, speaking of us the way you'd talk of race horses, not people. For some reason, that makes me more mad. Why is she treating us like we're tools or animals?

"Just show us the scores! If you're going to execute me get it over with!" Felix yells suddenly, showing me his nervousness. He turns to lock his eyes with mine. "Be brave Vic. If you must, be brave without me. You don't need me." This is like being stuck in a simulation. This is worse than the simulation, as it seems more real. I can't be brave. I feel a single tear drip of my cheek.

"I will. I promise." 

The screens flash and white letters appear on my screen. Vic: abnegation, candor, dauntless, erudite. Score: 100%

Jeanine seems suddenly excited. Her eyes are fixed on me, no longer caring about the other scores. But I don't care about my high score. I need to see the other scores. I need Felix to pass. I want him to live. This can't happen like it did in the simulation. That wasn't real, I can't leave him this time. A second score flashes on Brianne's screen.

Brianne: candor, dauntless   Score: 22%

Brianne's score is small compared to mine, and I feel very nervous. Felix can't die. I don't want this to end up as it did in the simulation. Felix's screen flashes, and I wait in apprehension for the score that could end Felix's life. Will he pass Brianne? Or will he be executed? Finally the number appears on the screen. Felix got twenty three percent. Felix is through. He stares at me in wonder, puzzled by his fortune. How did he pass?