17

Rune shakes me gently. What's wrong, are the tests starting? I look up groggily, staring into her green eyes. "What's wrong?" I ask, my voice tired and shaky. Rune gazes at me and kneels by my bed. She seems afraid and worried. "What is it Rune?" I ask, clutching her hand, "Please tell me what's wrong."

"Ariana's outside, she came to fetch you Vic."

"Why? Who must I go to?" I wonder, bewildered.

"Jeanine wants to see you. It seems sudden though, I feel suspicious." Rune answers, narrowing her eyes. She pauses thoughtfully. I'm not sure what to say, so I don't speak. Rune glances at me pleadingly, then shifts her green pupils to face the door. "Just-Just-Be careful Vic. I want you to come back fine."

"Well, I do too. I'm not planning on dying Rune." I say, rolling my eyes. I'm nervous though, and Rune can see it. "We believe, that pain and death are better than cowardice and inaction, because, We believe in action." I state, trying to sound brave. Rune chuckles nervously. "Bye Rune. See you later." I say. I feel her arms around me, hugging me goodbye. "I'll return in one piece, don't worry Rune."

"And if you don't?"

"Then you are my best friend and you'll live through it because I asked it of you. Every time my name is spoken you will say 'I told you so.' Bye, Rune!" I reply.

"Good luck."

Ariana is waiting for me outside. "Vic, I was starting to think you wouldn't come out."

"I slept in. Some good dreams you know. What about the examinations?" I ask, "I was looking forward to them."

Ariana glances at me sadly, "You'll be missing them. This is more important."

"How will I become erudite then?" I question, feeling suspicious. Why would I miss exams? It makes no sense. What mental examinations will Rune go through? What will I miss?

"You-Well-It's currently unimportant." She answers.

"Will I take them later?"

"Possibly, Vic." She mutters, not really paying attention to me. Ariana guides me out of the Initiate Housing Faculty and through the erudite sector. The busy streets seem more crowded than usual in the early hours of morning. Blue clad erudite rush to work, while the children rush to school. Ariana leads me to the sector's centre where the largest glass building looms over the others. Ariana smiles at me. "Vic, I have to leave you here." She says leading me to the front desk. "Jeanine's secretary can take you up to Jeanine."

"Jeanine has her own secretary?" I ask, amused.

"She's a busy woman, far too busy to deal with visitors that are unimportant." Ariana explains.

"And I count as important?"

"Our initiates are our top priority Vic, you included. Goodbye for now." Ariana walks out the door.

"Can I help you?" The secretary asks.

"I'm here to see Jeanine Matthews."

"Is your name Vic?" She inquires.

"My name is Vic." I reply. "Jeanine asked for me."

"Indeed she did, you're awefully late. Ariana was meant to have brought you fifteen minutes ago. Never mind Vic. Follow me." The secretary rises and leaves her desk. She leads me down a long hallway, her black heels clicking as she walks.

"Excuse me, where exactly are we?" I wonder.

"I admire curiosity, but I'm sure Jeanine will answer your questions personally. She instructed me to tell you to hold your questions. I believe she wants to hear your questions herself." She stops at an elevator. "We're going up." Jeanine's secretary informs me, as we step inside. She presses the highest number on the keypad. The glowing button rests under the number fifty.