9

Felix bounds foreward, reacting as I do not. I see his fingers wrap around one of Cal's flailing hands as Cal tumbles towards his death. Felix can only just hold him. "Vic, help." Felix is starting to slide, and I'm afraid that he'll fall out of the open train compartment door. I grab Felix round the waist and tug with all my might. His steady chest beats quickly and beads of sweat line his furrowed brow. "One, two, three, Pull!" Felix shouts, and I clutch him tightly,  pulling him and Cal to safety.

"Cal!" I scream, crushing my traumatized brother into a hug. His heart pounds with fear, beating in time with mine. He's alright Vic. Cal's alive. I never realized how much pain I would feel if he were to die, or how much relief it would be when he did not. "Cal!" I cry again, tears wetting my cold, pale cheeks.

"F-F-Felix," Cal stutters, "F-Felix, y-y-you saved my l-life. T-t-th-thank-thank you."

"Umm... y-your welcome, I-I-I guess."

"Thanks, Felix." I release my brother and wrap my clammy arms around Felix's chest. Felix seems slightly shocked by my reaction, and I immediately regret touching him. He seems pleased though, smiling, and looking a fraction disappointed when I let go. We're all panting breathlessly, the way you would if you would be unable to breathe again. Cal's breaths are long, shuddery and drawn out. Felix pants quickly, as if he had just ran a mile. I sound like a mixture of the two.

"There's the mixed sector." Cal mutters, still catching his breath.

"This is where we get off then, and let's try not to have anymore close calls pansycake." Felix replies. Things between him and my brother are back to normal now, I suppose. But why did Felix save my brother in the first place? The two of them have never been friends, just as me and Felix never were. Until now...

"Felix, are we friends yet?" I ask, mockingly.

"Don't push your luck Vic, I just saved your amity brother."

"Point taken." I reply, still wondering, despite his answer, wether we are friends instead of just acquaintances.

Cal jumps first, landing on the nearby train tracks, perfectly this time. "Ladies first." Felix grins, gesturing to the open door. I leap, and land gracefully beside my brother. I hear a loud thud as Felix lands on my left. The other faction members stand in four lines in front of the building where Felix and I will make our choice today. There would be five groups, but the dauntless are late as usual. 

Together the three of us clamber down the supports to join them, as the erudite watch disapprovingly. I've heard them say that the dauntless are light headed and idiotic, illogical to the highest point of disgrace in their books. They don't hate us as much as they hate abnegation though. They often speak of the waste of food given to factionless, when the candor have not as much as the other factions. The erudite say that the faction members should be first priority and the factualness second. Some erudite even have the spite to say that the abnegation eat the food themselves, when we see them give it away each morning. Some of the candor laugh and chatter, and one of the girls wearing the candor black and white shouts, "Hey! You dauntless too good for the bus?" Some of the other candor snicker. Some of the abnegation look upset, as they don't approve of such spite. But the candor always speak their mind, even at the expense of others feelings, so little else could be expected.

"Out of my way stiff!" Felix shouts, pushing past an abnegation girl dressed in grey. Stiff is a rude nickname given to the abnegation because of the way they dress.

"No need to be rude Felix." Cal says softly, but Felix ignores him when he doesn't press his point. Cal doesn't need to get into a fight with Felix right now, and I'm sure he knows that. It appears that's what's keeping him quiet. The amity members, dressed in crimson and buttercup yellow chatter happily, giggling loudly. Felix says that the way they giggle gets on his nerves, but Cal's always said that he rather liked it. Now I know why. Cal, Felix and I stand together in front of the dauntless symbol,  a picture of a flame.