18

A crisp white snow covers the ground like a soft white carpet. More of the soft white flakes fall around me. A man lies in the snow, bleeding to death. I rush to his side, crouching next to him. I read all about blood loss. I remove my black jacket and wrap it around his wound, binding it tight to stop the blood flow. "Are you divergent?" He asks, his tone serious. I've been told to always keep my seceret, but I don't want to lie.

"Yes." I admit, "Yes I am."

I hear an echoing howl and some wolves emerge from the forest behind me. I step in front of the man, shielding him from harm. The wolves must have smelt his blood. If I leave him, the wolves will get him, but if I don't they'll kill us both. So be it. I will not be a coward. I raise my fists, ready to fight. I need to do this. I have to be brave. The wolves circle us growling. "Stay still." I warn, "I'll deal with them." The man nods.

The image fades. Temporary whiteness of snow and light blinding my confused eyes. I'm in the water. A thick layer of ice hangs over me, blocking me from air. How long can I stay here without drowning? Three minutes is the minimum, but that isn't much time. I'm already gasping for air. Then I see someone else. A man sinking down and down through the murky water. I realise something flat. To save him would mean me dying. To fetch him would lose me time and I'd still have to crack the ice. It's me or him. I dive after him, leaving my chances of escape behind. Diving deeper into death instead of escaping it. That's dauntless enough. I catch hold of the man's wrist. He's much heavier than me though, and I struggle to hold him. Losing air and strength, I haul him to the surface of the thick layer of ice. I kick and thrash, but it does no good. Finally, when I'm nearly dead, the ice cracks slightly. With the last of my energy, I make a breathing hole for him and push him up into it. Then I turn back to the water. The darkness seems to mock me, asking me if I would rather have lived. "Of course I did." I admit aloud, bubbles spurting from my mouth as I lose all my remaining air. "Honestly I did."

Then bubbles surge around me, sending me into a colourless drift. Then a pounding sounds, beating through my ears, pounding through my heart. A man stands before me, wearing dauntless colours. He holds Cal to his chest, pointing a pistol at my brother's head. Then I see someone else at his knees, Eve. "One must die tonight. Who do you chose divergent?" The man asks grinning oddly.

"I admit, I would choose my family over Eve any day." I say honestly. He changed his gun's postion, aiming it at Eve instead of Cal. I know that a bullet to the head will kill her. Then, my erudite mind formulates a plan. "Surely, you don't care who dies?" I ask.

"No, I don't." The man says sourly, "why?"

"Kill me instead of them." I say. He smiles, aiming his pistol's shot at me. I hear a loud bang. Did he shoot me? Surely he shot me? Blackness covers me, then fades to whiteness. A new image appears. I'm standing in the abnegation centre, the grey buildings surrounding me. Then I see someone lying on the floor.

Someone lies bleeding on the ground, a boy or man. His blood is the deepest, darkest crimson. He's taken injures to the head, the neck and the chest. I need to help. I sprint to them, wishing with all my might to know what to do. But seeing his face leaves me dumbstruck, it's someone I know. "Felix?" I ask, "are you ok?"