An Encounter

Mackenzie and I can't not be friends anymore. It just can't be true. I decided to go look for her.

I went to check her house. I knocked on the door and her mom answered. "Hi, Emilie. How are you?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm great, but where's Mackenzie?" I asked hurriedly.

She replied, "Um, she just left, but she went very quickly so I'm not really sure where she went-"

"Thank you Mrs. Miller." I zoomed back onto the sidewalk and went to see if she was at the school.

"Emilie! What are you doing here?" Mr. Gibbons greeted me as I entered the restaurant.

"Hello, Mr. Gibbons. By any chance did Mackenzie pass by here?"

"Sorry, but no." He said and I quickly left.

I went to her favorites stores, the grocery store, and I tried calling her but she wouldn't pick up.

I kneeled on the floor. "Where are you, Mackenzie?" I yelled.

Bleep.

I heard my phone. I saw a text message. From Mackenzie!

Meet me @ Roley's ASAP.

I hadn't checked there.

I sprinted to Roley's and saw her sitting at a booth.

I sat on the booth. "I'm so sorry, Mackenzie. Please forgive me! I don't wanna lose you, I mean-"

She held my mouth closed with her fingers.

"It's fine. But check this out." She took out her phone, "It's a picture of your one-true-love. Yeah, I think he's found his own."

"Wait, but, that's impossible!" I couldn't believe my eyes. I stared at the clear picture of him holding hands with some brown-haired girl.

"He is mine." I roared.

"Easy there, tiger." she laughed, "You can't just go for him."

"You're right, I can't. You'll have to go with me!" I suggested.

Mackenzie shook her head.

"You can't just go back for him, he's obviously happy." Mackenzie noted. I hadn't thought about it like that.

"And you're sure that was him and that he's dating her?" I asked.

"If you think 'I love you so much, Caleb, we will never be apart,' isn't dating, then you and I are both doomed." Mackenzie said.

"But Caleb wouldn't recover so quickly. I thought he loved me like Mom said." I said, "And I trust Mom's advice."

"So do I, but look at the picture." she waved the phone in my face, "Look at the picture."

"OK, I get it. But I really need to clear this up. I need to know he really doesn't like me and that he's with some other girl!" I murmured, "I need to be sure!"

"How do you know he won't hurt you? Or strap you down?" Mackenzie asked.

"He wouldn't do that! If he is still the Caleb I know." I answered, and headed for the exit, "Mackenzie, you're not coming? I need you for this."

"It's for love, of course I'll come!" Mackenzie said, "And you could use me to cry on later."

Mackenzie laughed.

~~~~~~~~

We were walking slowly. "Do you even know how to get to him?"

"I followed them till they got to his neighborhood, and I remember the color of his house." Mackenzie said.

"You followed them until they got to their house?" I exclaimed.

"What? I'm not a stalker." Mackenzie smirked, "I'm doing this for you, remember that. And the house is blue with two floors. I also remember a black Mercedes."

"Wow, fancy," I chuckled.

"Yes, very," She laughed, "Oh, and know that if we don't find his house your entire plan will blow, okay?" Mackenzie warned.

"Yes. But I think I found the house." I said, pointing to a blue house and a black Mercedes parked.

"Heh." Mackenzie chuckled.

"That what I thought." I said.

Mackenzie and I both put our hoods up.

Bark, bark!

"What was that?" I asked.

"I'm not sure."

Bark, bark!

"Is that...a dog? Mackenzie said.

"I think so." I muttered. The dog was a German Shepherd. Luckily it was chained to a tree.

"Man, that is one big dog." I meekly said.

Bark, bark!

"Good thing it's chained to a tree!" Mackenzie reassuringly said.

The dog barked once more and the chain broke.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Mackenzie and I both screamed.

The dog barked and I saw it's collar.

"His name is..." I peeked onto the collar, "Paws."

"Paws, sit!" Mackenzie commanded, but the dog didn't do anything.

"Paws, lie down." I tried. The dog remained growling.

Bark, bark, bark, bark, bark, bark!

"Aaaah!" I wailed. Mackenzie started climbing on the car.

"Mackenzie! That's a Mercedes!" I told her.

"Do you wanna live or die?" Mackenzie asked.

"I wanna live, but I don't want to break an expensive-"

Bark, bark, bark, bark!

"I wanna live!" I said as I jumped on the car.

I heard a door swing open. "Paws, stop it right now!"

The dog growled. "Paws, stop! Go inside!"

Paws trotted inside the house.

"Are you two okay?" I instantly recognized Caleb's voice. I don't think he recognized ours, though.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." Mackenzie said as her and I climbed down. When we got to the floor we stayed with our heads facing the ground.

"And you?" Caleb asked.

"Just fabulous." I muttered. I looked at the floor.

"Do you want to come inside for something to drink?" he offered.

Mackenzie looked at me, and I looked at her.

She nodded. We let down our hoods.

Then Caleb looked surprised.

It was quiet for a minute.

"Mackenzie?" he said.

"Hey," she subtly waved.

"And..."

"Yep," I inhaled and exhaled deeply, "It's me."