Chapter 6

Chapter 6- EDITED

What Lies Ahead : S2 E1

Part : 2

|Haley|

I froze in my  spot. Realisation that my best friend was lost in the woods, with two walkers on her tail hit me. I don't want to lose anymore. I was tired of losing. Although, was there any other option with the circumstances we were living with? The new age didn't care about how I didn't like losing, or how I was tired of it. The new age obligated me to get used to everything in such a short period of time.

My eyes followed Rick who had immediately taken action in following Sophia. Everyone got out from under the cars, coming to a stop at the border of the woods.

"Lori. There's two walkers are after my baby." Carol cried, getting held back by Lori. Her knees were weak, I could tell from how much they were shaking and how they were giving out from beneath her.

"Shh, shh." Lori rubbed her hair in a soothing way, as Carol didn't dare take her eyes off the bushy lands.

"No." I whimpered, leaning against the car Sophia had been hiding beneath, moments before. "Not again, not again."

Shane walked over, hugging me tightly, letting me cry my worries away. 

---

"Why aren't we all out there looking? Why are we moving cars?" Carol asked Dale, crossing her arms. I turned my head towards them, pausing looking through a white truck. There were cigarette burns on the seats, and a yellow stain on the floor. The leather on the steering wheel was tattered, and there was a bloody hand print on it. I gagged at the smell coming from the car, and reached to the messenger bag on the passenger side.

"We have to clear enough room so I can get the R.V. turned around as soon as it's running. Now that we have fuel we can double back to a bypass that Glenn flagged on the map." 

Shane came to stop by them, loosely holding his shotgun. "Going back's going to be easier than trying to get through this mess."

"We're not going anywhere till my daughter gets back."

"Hey, that goes without saying." Lori assured her, walking past them.

"Rick and Daryl, they're on it, okay? Just a matter of time." Shane nodded, giving Carol a pat on the shoulder.

"Can't be soon enough for me. I'm still freaked out from that herd that passed us by, or whatever you'd call it." Andrea took a sip from her water bottle, and I walked over to them.

"Yeah, what was that? All of them just marching along like that." Glenn asked.

"A herd. That sounds about right. We've seen it. It's like the night camp got attacked. Some wandering pack, only fewer." Shane exhaled. "Okay. Come on, people. We still got a lot to do. Let's stay on it. Let's go, come on."

I nodded looking down, going back to the disgusting white truck. My eyes drifted to the dent which seemed as I it had been struck by another car.

"Hey, you okay?" Shane asked, crouching beside me. "We're gonna find her, alright?"

"I know." I look at him, showing him the teddy bear I found from one of the previous cars. "I found this for her, I think she'll like it when she comes back."

Shane gently took the teddy from my hands, flipping it over with a smile. "Yeah, she'll like it. Don't worry about her. She's fine." He assured one last time, ruffling my hair, and leaving.

---

"I hope they find Sophia." I said, looking through the windows of a car. The glass was scratched, and blood was splattered on the drivers side. There was a red stain on the road beside it. "Empty."

"They will." Carl nodded, not daring to meet my eyes. 

"Do you really believe that?"

He sighed, shaking his head. Hair was clinging onto his forehead from the summer heat, and his hands were dirty (a/n what kind we are talking here, that's up to you to decide ;)) and grime coated his nails. "Honestly? I don't know."

"Carl." I whispered, pulling back from the box with family pictures in it. "Thank you. I was going to get out with Sophia, and you might have saved my life."

Carl was quiet, and I wrapped my tiny figure around his torso, feeling his heartbeat quicken. 

Bu-dum. Bu-dum. Bu-dum, bu-dum.

Carl pulled back, looking at me with his bright blue eyes. Sweat covered every millimetre of his face, an assuring look on his face. "Haley! She's alive. Sophia's alive. We will find her."

"Carl, we can't give ourselves false hope. Anything can happen out there."

"We're gonna be okay. We're all going to be okay." 

(my chapters are actually really short after you take out the junk)