Chapter 21

Chapter 21- EDITED
Secrets : S2 E6
Part : 1

|Haley|

A lot had happened in the past days. Carl was up and at it again, Daryl was still healing. But one thing, one thing, is what was important. The walkers in the barn.

Maggie and Glenn, who had heard my scream, found me too. They were both mad at me, for y'know, putting my nose into their business, but I knew they were thankful that I wasn't hurt. I knew Maggie trusted us, to not tell their family secret, but it was eating me up.

What if the walkers escaped? What if someone got hurt? What if someone died?

But Glenn was handling it worst than me.

I was staring off into the distance (or to the barn, as you may say). I had a handful of seeds in my hand, but I just couldn't bring myself to throw it.

"Don't look so worried." Carl said. At first I thought it was for me, but realized later on that it was for Lori.

"It's my job."

"No it's not. You're a house wife." Carl said which made me laugh.

Lori stared for a little while. "Yeah punk?! Well you see my house around here?" Lori asked as she threw a handful of seeds at Carl, but it hit me too. The three of us laughed as I brought myself to throw the seeds too.

I could tell something was off with Carl. It had been since he got shot, but since he recovered, it was worse. I didn't know if anyone else could tell, but I knew there was something. Maybe it was realization of what the world had become, maybe it was the realization that Sophia would never come back.

"A housewife." Lori laughed under her breath.

I threw more seeds at the black chicks, and so did Carl.

"They don't have a mother." He pointed out. Lori looked up, but looked back down at what was in her hand.

"Well, she might be somewhere else." Lori said.

"Maybe she got eaten."

Lori and I both stared at Carl in shock. Lori looked a bit frightened, probably thinking, is that really my son?

Carl looked at me and his mother, "Everything's food for something else." He said, as he threw more seeds.

Carl might think he faced the horrors of this world, but he hadn't. This was just the start.

-

Glenn was staring at the barn through binoculars, as I strummed the guitar.

Maggie came, and stared at Glenn angrily. "Could you be more obvious?" She asked stopping next to him. "Here, enjoy. C'mere, Haley!"

I came next to them, my eyes filled with excitement at the box of fruit in front of me.

"You're trying to buy our silence with fruit?" Glenn asked.

"Of course not. There's jerky too."

I laughed as I got a piece of jerk and a peach. "Sold."

Glenn stared at me, before looking back at Maggie. "Can you please tell me why your dad has a secret barn full of walkers? It's creepy!"

"Shh."

"You know that, right?"

"Shh!"

I laughed. "I ship you two."

The both stared at me awkwardly.

Maggie looked determined, she was scared because if this secret got out she was toast. "Just trust me on this okay? Both of you."

"But I suck at lying! I can't even play poker! It's too much like lying!" Glenn argued, his eyes wide.

"You have to keep this to yourself. You have to. Please."

"I'm awesome at lying." I added, nibbling on my peach.

Maggie smiled at me before going back home, and I went back to the log I was sitting on.

"Sup?" I heard T-Dog ask Glenn.

"Nothing. Nothing's up! Why?" Glenn asked, stuttering. Wow. I never thought he would suck this bad.

Dale and T-Dog watched after him as he quickly turned around.

I had to fix this. I sighed as I got up, and walked towards the two men.

"Why was he acting like that?" Dale asked me.

"Promise you won't tell anyone?" I squeaked.

The two nodded. I lowered my voice and leaned towards them. "Me and Carl kissed!" I leaned back, and looked at their shocked expressions. "And he caught us, so he's weirded out about it. Made him promise he wouldn't tell anyone." I nodded.

"But you're twelve!!" Dale said.

I did a zipping over my mouth, and turned to walk away. That was probably the best lie I ever told.

I walked over to Carl, who was wearing his sheriff hat. He was looking down, so I found this the perfect time to steal the hat. I grabbed it, put it on my head and started running.

I could hear Carl's laughs and him calling my name, but I knew not to look back.

I started to slow down, due to my stupid asthma went too far, but was knocked on the ground. Carl was on top of me, and he smirked in triumph. "I believe you have something that belongs to me."

"Oh please, it looks better on me." I panted.

"It does, but that doesn't change the fact that it's mine." He grabbed the hat from my head, and putting it back on his own, where it belonged.

We stared into each others eyes, and it reminded me of the day he got shot, when I looked into his blue orbs.

I frowned and Carl must've seen that, because the smile was off his face too. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, it's nothing." I smiled as he pulled me up. I looked the way we had come, and wasn't surprised that it wasn't much.

We started walking back together, and parted ways once again after I told him that I was going to strum my guitar. He said that he had to talk to Shane.

I nodded as I went back over to the log. I stared as Carl and Shane started talking, and my eyes widened in surprise as Carl reached for his shirt, and pulled it up a little. He took what was there out and handed it over to Shane. But I knew what it was, even though he looked like he wanted to be discreet about it.

It was a gun. A gun that no one would give Carl.