Chapter 8

Chapter 8- EDITED

What Lies Ahead : S2 E1 - Bloodletting : S2 E2

Part : 4 -1

|Haley|

Time didn't wait for me. I hoped time would slow down, so I can collect myself and hold onto Carl longer. I felt every moment and every movement.  The deer was on the ground and I couldn't see Carl's blue eyes anymore. I also couldn't feel the smile on my face.

A scream pulled me back to reality and it took me a moment to realize that the scream was coming from me. No doubt I would attract more walkers than the gun. I couldn't care though; Carl was on the ground and his eyes were closed. There was blood on his shirt, around his stomach. I fell next to him and slowly touched his cheek.

"C-c-carl? Wake up, Carl! Help!" I screamed, my body trembling in fear. "Carl. C'mon. Open your eyes." I whispered, slapping his cheek, harder with every time.

Nothing.

Rick fell next to me, both of us doing our best to wake him up. Shane watched, flustered, heading in the general direction of where the bullet came from. I squeezed my eyes, counting. 

1... I took in a shaky breath, shutting my thoughts out the best I can.

2... I wiped the tears off my cheek with the sleeve of my shirt.

3... I bit my tongue to not scream.

4... I tried to block off Rick's cries, Shane's yells and the shooters pleads.

6... Wait, that's wrong.

What comes after 4? Think, Haley, think. 

I couldn't think, and I couldn't hear. I could feel the panic beats of my heart, but I had lost all other concepts. My eyes unconsciously went to Carl's shirt, the blood making my lightheaded. He wasn't moving, he wasn't breathing.

He was gone.

End of What Lies Ahead, S2 E1

___---___

Bloodletting, S2 E2

I watched as Rick ran, Carl bouncing as I stumbled after Shane. Rick was a wreck, Carl was more dead than alive, Shane was irrational, and I was devastated. Stumbling over a rock, I used my hands to pull myself up. 

"Talk to Hershel he'll help your boy!" The shooter called and Rick kept running. They had been arguing all the way, Shane cursing him out and Rick demanding every few minutes how far. Throwing dirty looks and glaring was enough for me. 

I looked up to see Carl's face and stumbled again. I gave up, not bothering to stand up. The man, who I didn't even want to learn the name of, grabbed my arm, tugging me up.

"Don't touch me!" I screamed, pulling my arm back as I slapped his arm. "Don't touch me."

I knew the man felt guilty and it was an accident but I couldn't control my rage. The man nodded grimly, keeping a good distance away from me as we reached the farm house.

"Are you bit?" An old man called out, other people behind him. They were all watching wearily, undoubtedly panicked by all the blood.

"No. Shot, by your man!" Rick yelled to the man. "Told to find Hershel, that you?"

"We need to get him inside, this instant." The man, Hershel, said leading everyone inside. "Patricia, I need all my supplies. Now. Maggie, pain killers, just grab everything! Towels, sheets, alcohol. In here." he said to Rick and gestured to a bed.