Chapter 34

Chapter 34
18 Miles Out : S2 E10
Part : 2

|3rd Person|

Rick was halfway to the car, when Shane spoke up. "When it started it was just- it was a couple weird stories on the news. Then-- then it was so quick."

Rick had stopped, but hadn't turned around yet.

"Everything-- it just, happened. Two weeks later I'm in the hospital, and there were soldiers shooting people in the halls. They were shooting people, man, not walkers. Then the walkers came through. You know, I tried to get you out, I tried, but we weren't gonna make it. Man, there was no way, and I knew it. But I couldn't live with it. I couldn't live knowing--" Shane sighed. "But I had to. I didn't keep Lori and Carl alive, man! They kept me alive. I-I wanted you to know that I didn't look at her before that. Brother, if I could take it all back, I would."

"I wanna check the ropes." Rick said walking off to the car, leaving Shane there.

|Haley|

"Who was your best friend, and how did you meet them?" Carl asked me.

I smiled at the thought of Nick. "Nick Movoro. My first victim." I chuckled, but it came out shaky. I took a deep breath, but that was shaky, too. "I was in 2nd Grade, and I was in Atlanta. I was at lunch, sitting with my friends. And Nick comes, bumps into my chair, and his whole entire tray, spills on my friend, Olivia. I freak out, because his orange juice comes on my new shirt. I call him stupid, and a crowd gathers. He was the nerdy type, too. Checkered sweater with a white long sleeved shirt underneath, books al around him. I call him a nerd, and he leaves crying, tells me on a teacher. The teacher comes and scolds me, and I stand up to the teacher. She sends me to the principles office, and he calls my mother. I leave with a warning, and at home, mom tells me to apologize. My mother and his mother were friends apparently, and our mothers take us to a playhouse. I don't apologize, because I'm so stubborn, and he apologizes for telling me on the teacher instead, spilling his juice over me. I apologize, and push him off the slide, and he tells his mother. Our mothers took us to the same playhouse every Friday, so we can be friends, and I guess it just, worked."

A feel the single tear, slide down my cheek and I sniff.

I put my hand to wipe it, but Carl stopped me. He brings his thumb, and wipes it instead. [cliché, I know and I'm sorry, but I JUST LOVE WRITING CUTE MOMENTS LIKE THIS] "Don't cry."

But I do the opposite, by bursting into tears. Carl pulls me to his chest [complete fangirl moment] and rubs my back.

"He was the first I lost! I could've saved him, but I couldn't, Carl! He just...slipped! He was the first one...he was the first one..." I trail off, but it comes out muffled. I feel that I made his shirt wet, but he doesn't seem to mind.

I pull back. "I-I'm sorry."

He smiles slightly. "It's okay."

I look into his eyes, and suddenly get a confidence boost. I lean in, and peck his cheek softly, and get up. His eyes were wide, and he was grinning like the cheshire cat (from Alice In Wonderland).

"Are you coming?" I asked.

He looked up at me with his red cheeks and slowly nodded.