Chapter 12: The Resort

The drive to San Luis Obispo goes quickly. Much too quickly.

I walk into the resort to check in. "Yes, Ms. Andrews. Mr. Hiddleston called ahead and said you may arrive before the others," said the host. Damn straight. My car hauls ass, I think.

I get to my room to find a gift basket with various assortments of coffee. The note reads, "I'm still glad you decided to take this journey with me...even if you are a pain in the arse sometimes. XO T-". It's in his handwriting, and I wonder if I'm the only one who got a personalized note.

There's still a couple of hours before we're supposed to meet for dinner, so I decide to take a shower and relax. As I step from the bathroom drying my hair, I hear a door close. I walk cautiously toward mine to make sure I don't have an unexpected roommate. No one's there, and my door is securely latched just as I remember. Then I hear voices.

I walk to the wall where the bed is positioned, and I can hear a conversation taking place. Two foreign accents - one English and one French. Great! I'm next door to Tom, I think.

I finish towel drying my hair and start to pick something to wear to dinner. As I do, a giggle from the next room grabs my attention. Then, there's a muffled, "Oh, Baby," and the distinct sound of two bodies falling onto a bed. If I had been dressed, I would have run screaming from my room.

Instead, I return to my bathroom, blow dry my hair, and put on a little mascara and lip tint, but not before grabbing a mini bottle of alcohol from the in-room fridge. Then, I return to my room and put on my clothes for the evening, downing another mini bottle, still trying to drown out the sounds of Tom's lovemaking from my head.

After a heated conversation with the front desk manager, during which he informed me that the resort is completely booked and so no other room is available, I arrive at the resort's upscale restaurant 10 minutes late.

"Well, hello Kenni. So glad you could join us," Tom says, standing as I arrive at our table. What I want to say in response is 'Fuck off, Hiddleston,' but I know he's already done that and I don't want to encourage him further.

"I'm sorry I'm late. Just a slight problem with my room," I say. Tom's brow furrows. "Were you able to remedy it? I can speak to management if you like," Tom says as he helps me into my seat. "That won't be necessary," I respond. Not unless you have the power to have them build a brick wall between our rooms, I think.

As the waiter passes by, I order a vodka martini. "And as soon as you bring it to the table, please put in an order for another one," I say. Tom just raises an eyebrow at me, but Hector reaches from the seat next to me with a fist bump. "Way to go, Missy Miss. Getting your drink on." "You know it," I respond, smiling at Hector.

Though I like all the team's writers, Hector and I have become especially close. He even knows of my feelings for Tom. I told him when we were having a "girls night" and we shared more than we probably should have. So far, Hector has kept my secret, though he's often encouraged me to spill to Tom, which I was actually thinking of doing this weekend. Fuck my life!

"You look much better in your Jimmy Choos than Miss Thang does in her knock-off Pradas," Hector whispers to me. I take his hand under the table and give it a squeeze in thanks.

In fact, I think I look damn good! I'm wearing a little black number that stops a few inches above my knees and drapes low in the front. Not so low as to be obscene, but low enough to make one's imagination wander. My hair is pulled back on the sides to give an unobstructed view of the draped front, and I've added drop pearl earrings to finish the look. Yep, if the weekend had gone as planned, I think Tom would be putty in my hands right now.

Tom's POV

For fuck's sake, don't look at Kenni! I think to myself. Damn! My eyes wandered to her low-cut dress once again.

Why did she have to wear that dress! Not only am I having a difficult time concentrating on anything anyone is saying, but I see the looks a couple of other men in the restaurant have given her. Though I know she can take care of herself, their stares make me want to punch each one of them.

After Kenni's kiss when leaving London, I was elated. My first thought once I had gotten over the shock was to call her and tell her of my feelings. Then, I started doubting myself. What if I was reading more into it than was there? Instead, I threw myself into another relationship as soon as I had the chance. Anything to take my mind off of Kenni.

Kenni has seemed awfully subdued since my arrival. My doubts arise again, and I start to wonder if perhaps she's met someone. Not likely. This is Kenni we're talking about, I think. After all, if she had, she would have brought him along. The thought of Kenni with another man makes my blood boil and causes me to once again look around the room at the other men who had given Kenni too much attention for my liking. It also makes me wonder what Kenni thinks of my bringing Angelique on this trip.

Kenni's POV

As I finish my second martini, I order another. "Slow down, Sister. You don't want to be sloppy drunk before we've made it to the main course," Hector whispers. "I need to be drunk," I whisper back. "Tom's room is next door to mine." Hector gives me a knowing look and pats my knee under the table. "Don't worry, K. Tom will have his fill of skinny-assed Frenchie. Then, he'll realize you're the love of his life and show up on War Horse to ride off into the sunset with you." I snort, perhaps a bit too loudly. Tom stares at us from the other end of the table. "Not likely," I whisper. "Oh no. It's going to happen," Hector says with all certainty.

After the main course, dessert, and my fifth martini, Hector and Daniel help me back to my room. "I hope you think this was all worth it in the morning," Hector says, unlocking my door for me. "I do and I will," I say, swaying slightly but still standing on my own.

"Good night, Princess," Hector says, effectively shoving my into my room and closing the door. I slip off my shoes and contemplate taking a bath. Better not. Just go to bed, Kenni, I think.

There's a light rapping on the door. I peek through the peephole and see a chest. Damn, it's TW. I'd know that chest anywhere!

"What's up?" I say, opening the door. "I just wanted to check on you to see if you're alright," Tom says. "Peachy keen. Couldn't be better," I say, leaning on the door's edge.

"You seem a bit...out of sorts this evening, Kenni. Are you sure you're okay?" As Tom finishes his statement, my purse falls off the table where I placed it precariously in my room. "What was that?" I look back over my shoulder, seeing the contents of my purse on the floor. "Nothing, TW. Just the hot guy I picked up at the bar tripping as he removes his pants," I say flippantly. Tom's eyes cloud and there's a brief look of something...jealousy perhaps?

"Well, I guess I should let you get back to your hot guy, then. Good night, Kenni."

"Good night, Tom," I say, closing the door. I lean on it for a bit and contemplate sliding down it to the floor so I can just sleep here. Somehow I know the sounds that await me in my bed, and I know I didn't drink enough after all to drown them out.