Chapter 37: Love and Pain

Tom's POV

"I can hardly hear you. Hold please," Ben says as my heart beats like it may leap out of my chest.

I wait for a moment, but there's no response. I look at my phone and see I've lost the call.

"How long?" I ask the driver, hearing a bit of a shake in my voice.

"Ten, maybe twelve minutes, tops," he says, passing yet another car.

I close my eyes and say a silent prayer. Please let my family be okay.

After a few moments, I begin to make a mental list things I plan to do once I see Kenni.

1. Tell her that I love her.

2. Throttle her within an inch of her life.

Scratch that - the throttling will have to wait until she's recovered.

2. Make sure that she and Champ are okay.

3. Tell her that I'm not giving up my family, no matter what.

4. Tell her again that I love her.

5. Get ready to welcome Champ with her.

This is all predicated, of course, on Champ not having arrived yet. I close my eyes again, and repeat Please, please, please to myself.

Just then, I feel the car slow. We're pulling into the hospital!

"I beg your pardon, but I didn't get your name?" I say to the driver just before we stop.

"It's Gabriel," he says as he stops, then smiles back at me.

"Gabriel? Any time I'm in L.A., you're my man."

Gabriel nods as I get out of the car, grab my bag, and run toward the hospital's entrance.

Kenni's POV

I've done as Aunt Sylvie asked and calmed down. Though I want Tom with me as soon as possible, she will get me through this.

"Where is Tom anyway," she asks, taking over back-rubbing duties from Hector.

"He's on his way back from San Francisco." Aunt Sylvie has never met Tom, but I've talked about him so much, it's like she knows him.

"I'm sure he'll be here in time. That man has the determination of a bull."

I laugh at her comment. "Thanks god for that! If he didn't, I don't think he'd be able to put up with me."

At that moment, the birthing room door bursts open. Tom comes running in with a worried look on his face, his curls untamed and flying about.

"Kenni!" he says, dropping his bag and hurrying to my side. He drops on his knees beside the bed and takes me hand, kissing it. "Kenni. Love. My Love. Are you alright? How is Champ? I love you so much!"

I pull on his hand, getting him to stand then sit on the edge of the bed. I take his face in my hands to calm him. Aunt Sylvie takes Hector by the arm to lead him out of the room.