Chapter 15: Dinner and Dessert

I arrive at Gianni's a few minutes early. I'm hoping to get a good seat in the bar so I can see Ben and his mystery guest arrive.

I've decided to go all out in my choice of clothing this evening. I've chosen a pomegranate-colored dress that is very fitted and very short. I paired it with black stilettos and, just for a change from the traditional Southern California bare legs, I've worn very sheer black thigh-high stockings with a seam up the back. The seam was very frustrating to get straight, but the overall look along with eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick to accent the dress color is worth it.

I take a seat at the bar. It's perfect because I have an unobstructed view of the entrance. "What can I get you?" the bartender asks. "Vodka martini, please." The bartender returns shortly with my drink. "What do I owe you?" "$12.00". As I reach in my purse to retrieve my wallet, the man sitting a chair away from me says, "Put the lady's drink on my tab."

Even though he has a sexy, deep British accent, I start to protest. "Thank you, but it's not necessary," I say, still looking in my purse for my fucking wallet. Apparently the bartender has already heeded Mr. Sexy British Man's (yes, I've already given him a nickname) request because when I look up, cash finally in hand, he's walked away to serve another customer.

I sigh and turn to thank Mr. Sexy. As I do, I have a fangirl moment. Mr. Sexy is Tobias Menzies. I've been a fan of his for years, first following him in the TV series, Rome, and more recently in Outlander. His portrayal of Black Jack Randall is mesmerizing.

"Thank you...for the drink," I say, stumbling a bit over my words.

"You're quite welcome," Tobias says with a grin. Then, he reaches out his hand. "I'm Tobias."

"Kendall, and I know who you are, Mr. Menzies," I say, taking his hand to shake and blushing at the same time. Tobias just chuckles at my reaction. "Please, Tobias or Toby is fine, whichever you prefer. Calling me Mr. Menzies makes me feel like you're talking to my dad." I giggle (yes, I said giggle, as in school girl) at his comment.

Then, I hear a voice behind me. "I'm sorry I am late, Kenni. Oh damn, you've already met Toby. Well, there goes my surprise," Ben says, kissing me on the cheek.

"Kenni?" Toby asks, raising an eyebrow.

"It's a nickname."

"A little tomboyish but still sexy. It suits you," he says in a low tone as if the comment is only meant for me to hear. Unfortunately, Ben clears his throat. "Yes, well, I'm sure Kenni gets that a a lot. Shall we claim our table?" Ben says.

As we stand to move to the hostess area, Ben puts his hand in the small of my back to guide me in front of him, leaving Toby to follow behind. "What's gotten into you?" I ask. "Nothing. Just...you'll thank me later," Ben replies, ushering me to our table. He pulls out my chair, and Toby takes the seat beside me. Ben sighs, and takes the other seat adjacent to me.

We browse the menu. "Have you been here before?" Toby asks me. "No, but I've heard good things about it. Have you?"

"Yes, a couple of months back. If you like steak, may I recommend the bison filet? It's absolutely delicious."

"Thank you. I think I'll try it," I say, taking a sip of my drink and looking into Toby's eyes. I'm still trying to get over that Ben's friend is Tobias Menzies!

Again, Ben clears his throat. "If anyone is interested, I think I'll have a porterhouse."

"Sounds wonderful, Ben," I say absently, breaking my stare from Toby.