Chapter 28: Camouflage and Auditions

I wake up early on the day I'm to see Tom again. I know the day has the potential to be either really great or fucking awful, so I decide to indulge both Champ and myself with Krispy Kreme donuts and chocolate milk. After all, you either go big or go home.

I dress in the best camouflaging outfit I have - a black dress that gathers at varying angles in the front. I know it seems odd, trying to hide my pregnancy. I have to admit that I feel like a deer who's trying to act casual on the first day of hunting season.

My plan is to arrive super early, be seated at the table I know they'll use for auditions, and hopefully Tom won't notice the baby bump. If he does, I'm just going to throw my hands in the air and say, "Ta da!"

What the fuck are you thinking, Kenni? Springing it on Tom like this. This has got to be the most fucked up thing you've ever done, I think.  For once, I agree with my inner voice.

I arrive an hour before auditions are to start. After hitting the restroom, I ask for directions to the audition room.

"Hi, can I help you?"

"Yes. I'm Kendall Andrews. I'm here for the auditions for..." Damn, I can't remember the working title we settled on for the script. Stupid baby brain!

"Of course, Ms. Andrews. Tom has told me about you and your involvement with Love Springs Eternal. I'm Katie Westman, the casting director."

I shake hands with Katie, then she points to my bump. "Is this your first?" So much for camouflage.

"Yes."

"How exciting. Is it a boy or a girl?" she asks, touching my belly.

"I've decide to let it be a surprise. After all, as long as the baby's healthy, that's all that's important."

The hardest thing about being pregnant is the people who want to touch your belly. I know people like Katie mean no harm, but it's still a little unnerving. Champ seems to sense my discomfort and chooses this moment to kick.

"Whoa! It feels like you've got a strong one there. I tell you what - why don't you take the seat at the end. You know, to be closer to the restroom," she says, moving her things to a different spot.

"Thank you," I say with genuine appreciation. It's nice when someone understands my predicament.

Two other people - the director and the casting assistant - arrive, and Katie introduces them to me. I'm anxious to take my seat before Tom arrives, so I feign the need to sit due to my condition. The others seem to understand, and Katie even brings me some herbal tea before we begin.

We are discussing a few of the people who have expressed interest in the lead female role when Tom walks in the room. He sees me seated at the table as the director walks toward him to shake his hand. His eyes never leave mine, and he quickly excuses himself before walking toward me. I fight the urge to stand and instead I plaster a stupid smile in my face.

"Kenni," he says in a breathless, pleading whisper.

"Tom," I say, reaching a hand out to take his.

Tom looks at my hand strangely but he takes it. He clearly expects me to stand and give him a hug. Luckily, I'm saved by Katie.