37. Together

Chapter 37 - Together

Three days ago

Thomas frowned when Zoe didn't talk anymore. Had she just hung up the phone or? He stepped down the stairs of the police station and called a taxi to go home. In the taxi he couldn't stop thinking about her. There had been something in the way she talked that had alarmed him. She didn't seem like herself. She said that she was on the edge of a panic attack, but there was more. He was sure of it. Something was very wrong and he was sure that it had something to do with that maniac who had tried to kill her. Maybe William was... no he had to stop there. He couldn't jump to conclusions too fast, but he had to admit that he had a bad feeling about William. Why was Zoe with him in the first place? And why had she asked him to call Alfie?

As soon as he got home he made himself ready to go to Alfie's house. She had asked him to call Alfie, but seeing as they weren't so close, he didn't have his phone number. So he had no choice but to go up to his house and talk to him face to face.

He had to admit that he was nervous about it. He was in love with his girlfriend. Of course they wouldn't ever get along. But he realised that if he wanted to know what was going on with Zoe that he had to talk to Alfie. For all he knew, Zoe was just chilling with him.

He locked the front door and was about to walk to his car when he spotted a girl on the street. A blonde girl, shivering in the cold. He decided to go over to the girl to see if she was alright. Halfway he realised that it was Helena. He wanted to turn around and jump in his car, but he couldn't. He had to talk to her about the pregnancy.

"So, you're free," she said, sniffing her nose. He wondered if she'd been crying. Her cheeks were redder than usual and her eyes looked a little puffed, but that could just be because of the cold.

"Yeah, my lawyer got me out at last," he said, staring down at his shoes. "I'm sorry."

"What exactly are you sorry for?" she asked, holding in a sob, but he noticed.

"I'm sorry for running away," he answered ashamed. "I was just... scared."

"You don't want this baby do you?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow. "Well, let me tell you this, I don't want this either. I am very scared of what's coming, but I can't run away from it. I'm carrying a baby inside me. Your baby. Fuck. I thought you'd take a little more responsibility instead of just leaving me. You're a coward. And I wonder... If it wasn't me saying that I'm pregnant but Zoe... Would you run away if she told you?"

He opened his mouth to defend himself but she didn't let him.

"No, you wouldn't. Because you love her. You don't love me anymore. And you don't love this baby either. She's all you think about and it's not fucking healthy. You're obsessed with her. So I'm just here to let you know that I don't want to see you anymore until you're over her. Goodbye." And with that she turned around and walked away.

Thomas stood there, frozen to the ground. Everything that Helena had just told him, was painfully true. He was in love with Zoe and not with Helena. He had tried so many times to convince himself that he loved Helena. But every time he tried, Zoe popped up in his mind again.

He loved Zoe and that's why he was on his way to Alfie. For her. Because she had asked him to. He jumped in the car and started the short drive to Brighton. He stood in front of the house for a while getting his courage together to ring the bell.

Eventually he did and waited for the door to open. A few moments later the door opened and Alfie stared at him for a while.

"Zoe's not home," he said and tried to close the door again, but Thomas quickly jumped inside.

"I know," he said.

"You're here for me?" Alfie asked in disbelief.

"That's correct," Thomas smiled politely.

"Erm... come in," Alfie said. He obviously found all this very awkward. They both awkwardly stood in the living room, waiting for the other to talk first.

"Zoe called me about an hour ago," Thomas finally started the conversation. "She said William was driving her home, but she isn't here yet so..."

"What are you saying?" Alfie asked suspiciously.

"I think that William is going to murder her," Thomas finally dared to say it out loud. A few minutes ago he didn't even want to think it.

"Are you sure?" Alfie questioned.

"Yes, unlike you, I don't accuse people of crimes they didn't commit," Thomas snapped at him.

"I'm sorry about that," Alfie said, honestly. "Really."

"We have to find Zoe," Thomas said, ignoring Alfie's sincere apologies.

"And how are you planning to do that? She could just be on her way home you know," Alfie shrugged. In the last months it always took a while for Zoe to come home, Alfie had noticed, so he wasn't so worried if she didn't show up immediately.

"Look, you'll have to trust me on this," Thomas said. Alfie snorted as a respons. How could he trust Thomas? He was trying to win Zoe's heart all the time, when she clearly belonged with him. Zoe was Alfie's and he wouldn't let that get changed. In fact, he was going to ask her to be his girlfriend again as soon as she was home.

"We have to work together," Thomas tried again, but Alfie did not listen. Until Thomas got a text message. A photo of Zoe, lying on a dirty mattress, her right arm covered in blood. Without saying another word he turned his phone to Alfie. He felt so scared. So scared that something might happen to Zoe. Scared that William would kill her.

Alfie's eyes widened in horror. "Little one," he whispered so quietly Thomas didn't hear. Alfie's eyes were fixed on the screen. This couldn't be happening. They couldn't take his Zoe away. Something in his eyes changed when he looked up at Thomas again.

"I don't like you," Alfie spoke. "But together we could find her."

"I think so too, because we have one thing in common," Thomas said with a little smile. "We both love her more than anything in the world."

A/N: I know I normally don't do other pov's but I didn't want you guys to miss THIS. Comment #Thalfie if you're shipping this ship because, hell, I am xxxx