Chapter 11

"How's the Princess this morning?"

Isabelle cracked open her eyes and groaned. She wasn't ready to deal with him yet.

"Minho aren't you supposed to be in the Maze or something?" She pushed herself up and tried to keep her eyes open.

"My day off so I thought I'd come to see royalty herself." He gives Isabelle a smirk and she sticks her tongue out at him in response.

"Well royalty needs beauty rest, which you've just woken me up from. I guess I have to yell: 'off with his head!' now." She shrugs and gives a weak smile.

"Well before you do that," Minho responds and sits on the edge of her bed. "The Creators sent this up after Newt basically threatened them."

Minho holds a white bottle up and shakes it. It was about the size of her palm and she could hear it was full of pills rattling around inside. Isabelle snatched it from his hand like a lifeline, which it might've been.

"I'll get Clint," is all Minho says before leaving the room. He already knew how thankful she was.

Isabelle was reading the back of the bottle when Clint finally showed up. Hopefully he knew how many to give her because knowing her judgement, she'd probably accidentally kill herself.

Clint took the bottle from Isabelle and took it over to a table on the other side of the room. He was crushing the pills into some water to make it easier for her to take them.

"So what do these do again?" She asked when Clint gave her the drink.

"Lower your fever and help with the pain. You should feel a lot better pretty soon," he said indifferently.

She nodded and drank the foul tasting water. Why couldn't they make medication flavorless?

"Oh, they also put you to sleep pretty quick, so I'd lay back down if I were you." Clint polished tools with his back to her and she did what she was told.

She faced the cracked wood of the wall in front of her and traced the groves in it with her finger. That's the last thing she remembered before the darkness swallowed her again.

***

She was in her own bed when she woke up. She didn't feel hot anymore, and there was no more pain. How long has she been out? And who carried her to her room?

The answer to the latter was obvious, and holding onto her hand.

Newt was seated on the floor and resting his head on her mattress. He must've fallen asleep while waiting for her to wake up. Isabelle decided it was probably best to let him sleep since she knew he hadn't been getting much.

Whatever those pills were, they did more than help her fever and get rid of pain. She felt...cured. Like nothing was ever wrong. It was an amazing feeling.

She moved on the mattress slightly and suddenly realized it was a mistake when Newt bolted awake.

"Sorry," she sighed. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"No no, it's fine," he said and stood.

He lifted the blanket and crawled in next to her. Her heart fluttered at his closeness, but it wasn't bad.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as he laid down too. Their faces were about a foot apart and Isabelle pulled the blanket to her chin.

"Great. Amazing actually." She thought for a second. "How long was I asleep for?"

"Two days," Newt said without hesitation.

Isabelle's eyes jumped out of their sockets. "Two days?"

Newt nodded. "Clint said you'd be asleep for a while. I guess when they said they'd make you sleep, they forgot to mention it would be for a couple days."

"I'm so sorry, Newt," she muttered. He'd probably been worrying when everything was fine.

Newt shook his head. "I'm just glad you're okay. Clint said that when you woke up you'd probably be healthier than anyone here. And it looks like he was right."

Newt smoothed a piece of hair out of her face and she kissed the palm of his hand. His mouth gaped open slightly. She took his now-frozen hand in hers and turned over to go back to sleep. Newts grip tightened a little and he did the same.

She could feel his warm breath on the back of her neck and she smiled.

"I love you, Belle," he murmured.

"I love you too, Newt."