Chapter 33

"Aris," a voice snapped.

The boy jumped awake. He looked around the room and looked to see if any of the other boys were awake. They weren't. Had he just been hearing things as part of his dream?

"Aris!" It hissed again. It sounded like that girl...what was her name? Teresa?

His eyes flickered to the sound to find out where she was. He saw her peeking through the doorway and she motioned him over with a quick hand. He tiptoed quickly over to her.

She slipped him through the door and into the dim hallway. The buzz of electric lights was above him and he rubbed at the sleep in his eyes.

"You remember Isabelle?" Teresa asked and Aris thought for a second and nodded.

"Yeah why? What has she got to do with anything?"

"She's breaking out of the Maze. And she's ready to fight." Teresa folded her arms and looked behind her quickly.

"So what?"

"So we're going to help her. We're going to take down WICKED," Teresa's eyes filled with an excitement he'd never seen in anyone before.

"What do we need to do?" Aris felt bad for asking so many questions but he was so confused.

"With our help they'll be out tomorrow. Then the fighting begins. Here's what I need you to do."

***

Isabelle stared up at the ceiling of her bedroom and thought the same thing over and over. Could she really take down WICKED?

She turned over to her side and stared at the wooden planks that made up her bedroom. What if she died before she could-

Her thought froze and melted instantly once she heard her bedroom door creak open. She didn't hear Newt having nightmares...why would he be awake?

Isabelle made no movements and pretended to be asleep. She listened to the slow and quiet footsteps carefully. Isabelle tensed up. The footsteps were too heavy to be Newts and their breathing was labored. Whoever it was knew that they shouldn't be in there.

Isabelle let out a quiet breath and her heart was beating against her ribcage. Anxious butterflies seem to claw their way up her throat and she resisted the urge to scream.

When the person got close enough to her, she was ready to fight. She would not be taken again.

Isabelle whipped herself around and kicked her legs out to try to stand, nearly falling from the blanket being wrapped around them. She pushed whoever it was away with her open palms and they fell to the ground with a quiet thud.

The blanket was still wrapped around Isabelle and she tried to untangle it while moving towards her door, but all it did was trip her. She could hear the other person moving as quickly as she was, attempting to get up too. Isabelle was pushing herself up when her hand touched the door knob. She froze.

Cool metal was placed roughly against her throat. Isabelle didn't breathe in fear it would cause the knife to slip. She lowered her hand from the door knob slowly and sat back on her legs. The person grunted and yanked her up to stand on her feet. If only Isabelle could get her hands on something! A weapon or even a rock would be more than enough.

Isabelle could tell it was a male from their deep breaths and what she could feel, very hairy arms. They pressed the knife harder against her throat and whatever air was coming through before, stopped. She clutched at the persons arm and tried to say that she couldn't breathe.

The knife relaxed a little and Isabelle sucked in a sharp breath.

"What do you want?" Isabelle spat.

"You dead," they seethed back. Isabelle thought she recognized the voice.

"Then do it," she growled through gritted teeth.

The person chuckled hatefully and slid the tip of the knife lightly along the side of Isabelle's throat. She let out a sharp breath at the pinching pain and felt her own blood start to trickle down the side of her throat.