Chapter 12

"Well well well, back from the dead, are we?" Jeff folds his arms and nods at Isabelle who walks in slowly.

"I'm alive," she laughs. "And ready to work. What'd I miss?"

"Gally claimed he felt sick too, though I think it was an excuse to come see you, Winston needed stitches and Zart hurt his foot."

"Wow." Isabelle blinks in surprise. "Busy week then?"

Jeff laughs and cleans the tweezers he was holding. "You could say so."

***

Isabelle was nearly worked off her feet. She was hustling around the Glade and finding places for the new medical equipment that they'd gotten along with her medicine. She was glad to see that they'd gotten actual sewing needles and thread, pain relievers and now fever reducers. They'd also gotten splints for broken bones which Isabelle was sure would come in handy.

By the time she got done that night, everyone had went to bed and she was the last one awake. She shuffled up to her room and shut the door behind her. She sat on the edge of her bed, taking off her socks and shoes. She had barely laid down when she heard something, well, a bit disturbing.

Someone was yelling. Screaming and maybe even crying. Who in the world was still awake? And what was going on?

Isabelle jumped to her feet and flung her door open, listening. It was quiet for a moment before she heard it again.

"No!"

She froze when she recognized the voice. It was Newts.

She rushed down the small hallway to where his room was and knocked at the door. Should she have just gone in?

"Newt?" She called softly.

Nothing.

"Newt are you alright?"

Still nothing.

Isabelle turned the knob to his door and opened it, letting it swing softly open. Newt was there, sheet wrapped around his legs and partially hanging off the bed. He had a hand above his head and one on his stomach. They were both rigid. She could see his eyes flickering back and forth beneath his eyelids and every once in a while he would flinch.

Isabelle closed the door softly behind her and tiptoed over to Newt. It was her turn to care for him.

She sat in the same place he'd sat in her room; on the floor leaning against his mattress. She took his hand that was resting on his stomach and held it. His grip tightened.

"Please," he whispered. "Make it stop."

He mumbled a few other words but Isabelle was shocked. Make what stop? Who was he talking to?

"Newt?" She murmured and lifted herself to sit on the edge of his bed. She rubbed small patterns on the back of his hand, trying to calm him. With her finger, she gently moved a piece of hair from his forehead.

"I'm sorry, Belle," he slurred. Isabelle's eyebrows furrowed and she. Put a hand on his shoulder. Did he know she was here? Or could she have been in his dream? What was he sorry for?

There were so many questions that Isabelle wanted answers for but she wasn't sure if she should wake him or not.

Newts face turned to the side and his breathing increased. He began thrashing around and started yelling again.

"Newt!" Isabelle cried. She took his shoulders and shook them. "Newt please wake up."

When he didn't, Isabelle gathered him in her arms and pressed him against herself. She rocked back and forth until he stopped thrashing around. He breathed more evenly and his arms wrapped around her. He was awake.

"I'm sorry," he said weakly. She could hear that he was crying. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"Shh," she hushed him. She stroked her fingers in and out of his hair gently, soothing him. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," he answered. "I can never remember what they're about anyways. Just bits and pieces."

Something in his voice told Isabelle that he was lying. She knew he remembered everything but she wouldn't push it. Not for tonight, at least.

Isabelle pulled away with tired eyes. "Are you going to be okay, if I go to bed?"

She would never leave Newt unless she was sure he was alright. He looked much calmer now, but at the mention of her leaving, panic filled his eyes.

"Will you stay? With me?"

Isabelle opened her mouth slightly and he looked deep into her eyes.

"Please?"

"Of course I will," she breathed. Relief flooded into his eyes and face and he pulled the blanket from the floor back onto the bed. He opened one side for her to crawl into. She slid in next to him and held his hand, as she did the night before. He breathed deeply now, and she knew he'd be okay.

"Thank you," he sighed.

He didn't have anymore nightmares that night, and Isabelle was glad.