If You Do | Midorima

"So it's true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love."

― E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly

-

Watching from the bench with your feet tapping against the floorboards of the basketball court that your boyfriend was practicing in, your glossy cherry lips turned up as he shot another three pointer from the middle of the court with his god-like hands that everyone was so amazed by.

The precision of his every shot startled everyone who watched him for the first time but you were so accustomed to it.

"Ne ne, don't you think Midorima-senpai looks really hot when he pushes up his glasses and then runs back to defend?" One of the girls from your class starts to squeal, making the entire class of girls start to gush over how perfect and amazing Midorima was.

It was true though. Midorima was perfect at everything. He was the perfect basketball player and had the highest grades in the entire cohort, always becoming number one on the list. 

Although you were proud that someone like that was your boyfriend, there was still that tingling feeling of jealousy when they commented about him as if he was still single and not taken by you. Your smile turned into a frown as the game paused for half-time and Midorima returned back to his seat on the bench to take a rest. 

From what you could see, Midorima had received a bottle of water from this other girl who shyly handed it to him with no hesitation, even pausing for a split second to actually give a little grin before returning to his normal face of no emotion. 

You gripped your water bottle tightly, eyes reddening with lips pursed, but the crack sound created from the bottle changing shape made you snap back to your senses. Midorima was an outright tsundere even to you and there was absolutely no way- no way he could actually smile at another person so calmly. 

With your confused thoughts, you got up from your seat in a hurry, making a huge sound as you tripped over the bench. Everyone turned to stare at you, some muttering "what's wrong with her today?"and "she's so weird", making you even more embarrassed as you ran out of the basketball court in a rush as if you were escaping something.

Something that you feared to confront. 

The truth.

-

"I'm sorry," Midorima looks calmly at you as if you were a mere acquaintance to him. Your hands tremble, almost from the disbelief of such a peaceful and monotonous tone he was taking to end this all. 

" Ah... You must be joking. I mean... I mean... " You mutter under your breath, then grip his shirt tightly as if he was your only life line left. Midorima merely looks at you, then brushed your hands off his shirt before stepping away. 

" I'm sorry. " He says once more in his most passive voice, wiping his hands on his pants before pushing up his spectacles up his defined nose bridge. He takes one last look at you, and then walks swiftly away, his steps clear cut and calculated. 

-

" If you do make it happen, maybe I'll become your girlfriend." You stand with your hands crossed, a sour lemon sweet in your mouth. Your smoky black eyelids with fine but heavy mascara fluttered, but glazed dull eyes ,filled with boredom and loneliness that reflected the pathetic state of that man whose hand grabbed your arm while his confession was released from his mouth, were shielded perfectly from his view. 

The man seemed almost elated at the news, bowing multiple times before releasing his grip on you that had long left a mark on your skin and running to his friends that were not so far away. 

Not that the mark mattered anyway compared to the countless scars and marks you already had on yourself. 

" You know, in the end you're only going to hurt yourself right?" Akashi appeared right next to you, his annoying and monotone voice seeming to drone on and on in your ears considering the countless times you had heard his lectures since the Teiko days to these Rakuzan days. 

" Yeah yeah. It's not like I'm some esteemed princess anyway right? Considering the number of times I've been hurt, it's kind of interesting to see how these guys can manage to hurt me in multiple ways when I can't even feel anymore. Nene don't look at me like that Aka-chan, it's not the first day you've known me to be a sadistic one." You smile a rather tired smile even though you attempt to be cheeky. 

Your arm merely tightens around yourself as you hug yourself tighter than before, the sour lemon taste in your mouth reminding you of how bitter and sour life could be in the fake and pretentious packaging and flurry of the sweetness of deception and lies. 

" I don't want to mess in your affairs, but I think this time you're taking this a bit too far... It's not like you anymore." Akashi sighed, a rare sign of his exasperation which was too little times, and you turned around, looking at him before your smile falls flat.

A quiet whisper escapes your lips, "Sometimes I can't even recognise myself at all as well."

You walk past him, head up in the air while you whistle a song, one that is as silent and still as the dead of the night with nothing but the air of loneliness lingering. 

Akashi turns to look at the figure that comes up from behind the wall, the bandages that were soiled the dark maroon of blood that was still dripping onto the floor, and then nods only once to acknowledge him before walking away, leaving the figure standing alone under the sakura tree.

-

Sorry guys for my non-existent updates hohoho

I've started school and it's really a mess because it's so tiring so I've not been able to update.

Hope y'all enjoy this :)