Chapter 29 - Bruises

At the house Lilla and Betty were in the bedroom. Betty kicked the floor mattress. Lilla winced like she was kicking Jessie.

  "Who do you share your room with then Lilla, your girlfriend?" Betty smirked.

  "Just go away, Betty." Lilla said shakily.

  "What did you just say?" Asked Betty rhetorically, Before punching her hard on the unbroken arm and the stomach before walking out after telling Rose she was off.

  Rose came upstairs to find Lilla on the bed, crying, holding her arm and bent at the stomach.

  "Lilla, what happened? I thought Betty was staying for tea?"

  Lilla immediately straightened up and let go of her arm. "Oh, she-she had too - to go and help her Mum with the shopping." Lilla invented while wiping away her tears. "And I miss T- mum and dad." Lilla explained as to why she was crying, Taha's name even too painful for her to say out loud.

  "Oh, I'm sure they haven't forgotten about you darling." Rose comforted before going back downstairs.

  A few hour later Jessie came home from work and went up to the bedroom to find Lilla lying on the bed crying.

  "Lilla? Lilla what's wrong?" Jessie asked concerned, sitting on the bed beside Lilla.

  Lilla didn't answer. If she turned round to face Jessie then she would see the bruises that were starting to come up on her chin, arm, and stomach.

  "Lilla?" Jessie sounded hurt that Lilla wouldn't confide in her. "Come on Lilla you can tell me what's wrong." Jessie encouraged, before rolling Lilla over to face her. Jessie gasped.

  "Oh, Lilla, what happened?" Jessie asked.

  "Nothing." Lilla said. It sounded sullen but she hadn't meant for it to sound that way.

  "Lilla, I know you're lying to me, please tell me. Talk." Jessie said.

  Lilla sniffed and a tear rolled down her cheek. "It was Betty and Gemma and they're horrible and I hate them and they say I'm gay and I have no idea why and Betty forced me to ask if she could come round to tea and then she hit me twice and then she left and please don't tell because it will only make it worse and I don't know what to do." She said in a rush.