Chapter 21 - A School-Like Routine

4 weeks later Lilla was happy to be back in a school-like routine. Jessie would wake her up at 9 before she went to work, and she would do lessons with Rose until 12, when they had lunch. After lunch Lilla would usually spend a bit of time outside for around an hour before going back to the bedroom. Then she would have more lessons until 3. Then she would usually draw or watch a film or write something until Jessie got back at 7 when they would have tea. After tea they would usually chat for a while, just her and Jessie, before getting ready for bed.

  Weekends were all free of coarse, but Jessie got back from her mysterious job earlier at 2 on Saturdays, and on Sundays Jessie took the day off. Sometimes at the weekend Jessie would go off though quite late at about 8 or 9, and sometimes she didn't get back until midnight.

  This was yet another thing that Lilla added to her list of 'Clues About Jessie's Job' that she kept in the back of a notebook.

  It was February when Lilla went to stay at the neighbors' house, and soon it was March, then April, and then May.

  Lilla started to count the weeks instead, and then the months. The school routine got boring, but she had the same holidays as all the kids from her school did. Unfortunately, Jessie didn't, and Lilla missed the times when it was just her and Jessie all day.

  Then on the second Saturday of May, Jessie came home with news. Horrible news.