Chapter 13

:::House of Jessica’s dad:::

“Unnie! Get up!” Krystal forcefully removed the covers that hid the ice princess in slumber.

“Yah! Turn off the light!” Jessica shielded her eyes in annoyance and buried her head under her pillow.

“That light happens to be the afternoon sun you lazy Unnie!” Krystal exclaimed as she pulled her sister by her feet to which Jessica responded by holding the headboard of her bed. “Come one! It’s time for lunch!”

“I wanna sleep! Let go Krystal!” 

“But the rest of the family’s downstairs already!” 

“Tell them I’m sick!” Jessica whined and kicked Krystal repeatedly forcing the younger girl to release her.

“Fine! Starve to death! I don’t care!” Krystal held her hands up in defeat as she turned around to leave the room. “Oh by the way, Sooyoung-unnie’s joining us for lunch today. Said she wants to talk to you.”

“Sooyoungie??” As quick as a flash, Jessica jumped out of bed and ran outside the balcony of her room overlooking the garden, all lethargy forgotten.

Krystal looked at her sister in disbelief, “One name and suddenly she’s up?! All that pulling for nothing...”

True enough the unmistakeable frame of Sooyoung graced Jessica’s vision creating the oh-so-familiar butterflies in her stomach and yet at the same time left her feeling anxious as she remembered the events of their last meeting.

“Look who finally decided to wake up!” Her dad exclaimed as he noticed his eldest daughter peer at them from above.

Sooyoung suddenly turned around and smiled slightly as she waved rather awkwardly, clearly thinking along the same lines as Jessica, “Hey princess...”

Meeting her eyes albeit reluctantly, Jessica shyly smiled and waved back looking at Sooyoung intently as if saying, “I’m sorry...”

“Nice pajamas Unnie!” Krystal shouted from below chortling as she pointed at Jessica’s sleeping wear.

Not really knowing how to react, Jessica turned red as she noticed that she’s only wearing a faded oversized shirt with a Mickey Mouse print on it and shorts that were barely seen. With a tiny squeak, she frantically turned around and abruptly returned to her room.

“Why is she so shy around you all of a sudden?” Mr. Jung wondered as he went back to their game facing Sooyoung.

Shrugging in response and slightly pink, Sooyoung returned her gaze at the chess board before them and moved her queen, “Check!”

“Again?! Aish..You’re getting better at trapping people Sooyoung!” The old man shook his head jokingly that Sooyoung wondered if there’s an underlying meaning behind it.

:::During lunch:::

It was an awkward affair as Jessica and Sooyoung were forced to sit side by side as were urged by Jessica’s aunts reasoning that they haven’t seen each other for so long. As the adults carried on with their conversation, Krystal on the other hand was more observant and noticed that the two in front of her were barely speaking yet alone looking at each other. Her unnie kept on bringing her hands together and then prying them apart, a habit since childhood that manifests itself whenever she’s nervous. Sooyoung on the other hand kept on forking her food without taking a bite which is an obvious indication that something is definitely wrong.

“Please pass the salt.” Jessica said softly at Sooyoung without even looking at her.

“Uhh yeah..Sure.” Sooyoung passed the salt container with trembling hands as she gave it to Jessica but unfortunately dropped it as Jessica’s fingers grazed hers.