Chapter Six

As the cubs frolicked they talked happily. Sarabi was regaining her strength, soon they arrived at the gorge. "Now, I have decided..." Taka began.

"Oh, you have decided have you?" Mufasa interrupted him.

"Yes actually, I have. Anyway, before I was impolitely interrupted by Muffy, I was going to say: I have decided that the gorge is the ideal setting for a competition of strength."

"Bring it on!" Mufasa was confident he would win this easily. Sarabi stood back and observed Mufasa, she slowly faded into a strange dream. In this dream, she was sat by a broken tree, forming an arch over a small spot in the gorge. She was alone, except for Taka watching from a distance, sneering. She was crying as she laid a flower on the spot, Taka had a scar and both were adults. Quickly fading out again, she cried, "Mufasa?!", he ran over immediately. "What's wrong Sarabi?"

"I....I...had a rather strange dream..." She was clearly shaken.

"What happened in it?"

"Well. It was me and Taka, we were both adults and I was crying at what looked like a grave..."

"Oh, well what was so scary about it?"

"You weren't there..." She whispered, fading away again. Mufasa pulled her close to his chest, now he wished he had even small mane. Then he could have pulled her into it like his father often did to his mother, it kept her warm. That was what she needed now. She slowly opened her eyes wide and stared up into Mufasa's, still clinging to him. "I don't want you to ever leave..." Her eyes welled with tears.

"I would never leave you..." He replied, he felt a small trigger of a feeling he had never felt before...

"Get over here Muffy!"

"But Taka..."

"I said now! Why the HELL are you so caring, you act like you're her mate!"

"Taka! Shut it! Who said anything about that, I don't even know what that means?"

"Just get over here Muffy!" And Mufasa did, launching himself at Taka and Sala who had been mocking him. As his paws hit them, they were flung off the edge of the steep edge of the gorge. Both cubs screamed, immediately seeing the flaw in their plan, this could kill them! "Ahhhhhhh!" Mufasa  couldn't believe what he had done and rushed to help, he managed to grab Taka first, pulling him up to a ledge but it was too late for Sala. Sarabi was at the edge watching, "Nooooo!" She screeched, Mufasa was triggered by this and went down into the gorge where Sala lay. Mufasa pawed at her body, it didn't move at all. He began to climb back up the cliffs, dragging Sala's limp body with him. He flung her onto a ledge just before he lost his grip, he clawed on the rock and when he neared the ledge, saw Taka and said, "Taka! Help me!" Taka did, he grabbed onto Mufasa and helped drag him up. There they collected Sala and went to find Sarabi. "No, it's not true! Tell me it's not true!" She whispered in disbelief as she walked over to examine her beloved sister's body. "No. No no no no no!" She cried.

"I'm so sorry Sarabi. I didn't mean for it to happen. It was an accident!" He went to nuzzle her but she simply snarled at him before pushing him away with her paw. Then the realised just what she was pushing away, she staggered over to Mufasa, her huge sobs shaking her entire body. She fell onto his chest, it was warm and comforting, he was her best friend and she was ashamed at what she had done. Sarabi cried into his golden fur as he put his head over her's and his arm around her shaking body. Taka was shocked, they really were acting like mates! He wondered if either of them had realised that they were deeply in love with each other? Taka proceeded to drag Sala's body home while Mufasa stayed with Sarabi who couldn't bear going back. "What will I do?" She cried into him.