Chapter Seventeen

Sarabi explained to Chimalsi what she had dreamt and he held her tightly, he knew how much Mufasa meant to her and didn't want her to lose him to a princess, although he knew she would. Ahadi was far too stubborn for that. He had been less so when his sons were still cubs, however this had changed and he had begun to let his instinct take over his feelings.

That morning, Ekevu and Shukura woke even earlier than usual and decided to pull on Sharika's ears, eventually she opened her eyes and stood up. Taking them out to play she chided them, explaining that if they were noisy, they would wake the other lionesses in the pride. She led the cubs out onto the savannah, "Ok, I'll go get us some breakfast!"

"Me too Mommy!"

"Yes, Shukura, come along."

Shahida was watching from a distance, being the protectress she usually was. Now she even stalked Sala occasionally and was currently fearing for her wellbeing, at first she had been annoyed at Ujasiri for taking it upon himself to do that to Sala. But she had eventually realised it had been a joint decision.

Sharika followed the two cubs as they tried to catch a rabbit, without success. They were now three months old and growing fast however Shukura had not yet begun hunting lessons, they would commence at the six month mark and Sharika would be responsible for teaching Shukura all she would need to survive. Zuberi had said he would prepare Ekevu to defend the pride, a lesson all male cubs had to learn regardless as to whether they would be leaders or not.

Scar was plotting, now he was so powerful, maybe he could be more respected. Maybe Sarafina could be his bride. He had woken that morning and known something was different.

Sarafina had also woken with a change, she knew she had to tell Scar immediately. But how? She made her way to his lair and walked in hesitantly. He stood up quickly, smiling one of the biggest smiles she had ever seen on his face. "Sarafina! Your timing couldn't have been more perfect!" With that he rubbed against her and the two walked outside.

After a while, both wanted to say something but Scar began, "Fina, listen, I...I...I love you, and I would like you to marry me." He said in utter seriousness smiling a hopeful smile, he appeared to be looking into their future. Sarafina was speechless, she had wanted this day to come for so long but for some reason, something had clicked in her mind. "Scar, I can't!"

"What the HELL?!?!?! Why Fina?! Can't you see we are meant to be together? All these months!"

"No, I'm not that lioness anymore..."

"You mean you went and..."

"No, it isn't about Mufasa! No, I didn't do anything with him...I wouldn't betray Sarabi."

"Fina, you said you loved me."

"That was when I was younger, I'm leaving my adolescent stage now and..."

"That's why it is the perfect time! We can have many cubs if we start now, and so many years together."

"I'm sorry, but I think I was caught in a trance...sometimes lionesses can get carried away in their teenage years...but I thought I loved you. You're my best friend still! I'm so sorry, I never meant to hurt you..." Scar simply sat down and proceeded to stare at her with a stunned expression, this had been how he had moved on from Tata, it had been a stronger bond than that. He felt another tear in his heart and in seeped the essence of evil...

He then stormed off, the angriest he had ever been. "Scar, Taka! Please wait, I still want to be your friend!"

He paused when he heard 'Taka' and looked upset, however he quickly changed his expression to a sour one. "Well, I don't want friends anymore Sarafina. And it's Scar to you."