Chapter Ten

Sala woke up with Ujasiri watching her intently, she looked up into his adoring eyes but he quickly turned away. She suddenly felt a huge affection for him, much more and true than she had ever felt for Yusuf. "Hey! Who the hell is she?! And why the hell is she in your cave..with you?! What the he'll have you been doing Ujasiri?! You are a weirdo!" A lioness was at the cave entrance, she was his elder sister. "Neema, this is Sala, she is a victim of Yusuf's radical behaviour."

"Oh, come here love! What did he do to you?"

"Oh, well, he only inflicted his cubs on her!"

"Oh no, I am very sorry, but you can stay here. I will look after you, I understand. Once I was in the same position. Stay here and I will keep you and your cubs safe."

"Thank you, I think I will stay here. I like it!" She said sneaking a glance at Ujasiri.

Later that day Neema pulled her brother away from Sala for a few moments. "Ujasiri, I think she could be the one!"

"What do you mean Neema?"

"Come on Chimalsi, you know you need an heir. And what do you need before an heir?"

"I know, I know. A queen."

"Precisely!"

"But, I don't have one...no one likes me!"

"But what about Sala, I know you like her. It's kinda obvious. It is your turn to continue the line of kings."

"What if I don't want to?"

"What the hell do you mean?! Of course you do! Just get a bit closer to her."

"Ok, I know....you're right...I just won't admit I have fallen in love with my brother's lioness."

"You must protect her from him though."

"I will, I vow to." Then Sala came out of the cave and went to go towards the lake for a drink. "Hey? Where do you think you're going?" Ujasiri questioned playfully.

"Oh, I'm just going for a drink."

"Let me come with you!"

Neema smiled as she watched her little brother leap towards the little lioness, he had finally reached out of the shadows of his childhood and was in the process of creating a loving family for himself. She walked away, contented, to care for her own cubs.

"So, why are you the king so young?"

"Well, my parents went to fight intruders at the borders of out territory when I was a cub, but they didn't survive it and Neema had to take control of the other lionesses and fight, even though she was pregnant. They killed the intruders eventually and she raised me. It was a time of darkness and then my brother came of age and became King as he seemed the stronger of us. Of course, you know better than I do how he messed it up. He left, and I was left to take over."

"Oh, I'm sorry. It must have been terrible."

"Don't worry, you can't change the past."

"I came from the Pridelands, and they don't know where I am now. I don't know if I want to return because I caused an awful lot of trouble."

"Don't worry, I'd like you to stay here."

"Was that a hint?"

"Hehe"

"I've been waiting for that all day! Come on!"

"Wait, where are we going?!"

"I don't know! I just want to be away from everyone else!"

"Ok, I'm coming!" They ran until they were deep inside the jungle and completely alone. Sala lay down on her back in the grass, he leapt towards her and lay beside her, staring into her eyes. She reached up and licked his cheek softly and he started. Then they understood, they were on a lifelong adventure together and nothing would tear them apart.

Eventually they realised it was time to go home and they returned to the cave. It was very late at night and Sala half leant against Ujasiri the entire way. She felt very warm and perfectly happy. "Ujasiri?"

"What is it love?"

"Um...you know....when the....the cubs come?"

"Yes..."

"What will you....do?"

"I will stay with you the entire time, you can hold my paw. Then I will help you to raise them as my own."

"Thank you, your mercy has no limits..."

"Not for you, I love you Sala."

"I love you too Ujasiri."

That night they slept beside each other in the cave and Neema checked on them before she went to sleep herself. She was pleased, she had done her job now, and her little brother was technically an adult.

Sarabi still wasn't sleeping, she couldn't. She had talked to Shahida but she didn't really know what to say. Tata was spending most of her time with Taka now, they were waiting for the few months to pass until they could officially marry. It was not to be...

One day, Tata was walking with Taka when Shahida approached her. Taka was sent away and a row began between the two sisters. Shahida was worried because she could see a potential darkness developing inside Taka. What she didn't know was that she was about to begin it. "Tata, I really think you should stay away from him."

"No! Never! I love him Shahida!"

"But he could be dangerous!"

"But he isn't!" The row escalated until Tata jumped backwards in frustration, however she had jumped onto the edge of a cliff leading down into thorns. Tata fell and screamed, holding onto the edge. Taka heard her scream and raced towards her. He held onto her desperately and Shahida went for help.

"Taka!" Tata smiled despite the situation, she licked his paw.

"I won't let you go!" He said but he was already slipping, he was determined she would live to see the day they had a family. "I will not let go!" He repeated forcefully.

"I know..." Tata whispered and with that she wriggled out of his paw and let herself fall, at least his loving touch would be one of her last sensations. He screamed as he watched her fall. She fell through the thorns and lay at the bottom. She had smiled at him for a last time as she fell and smiled in death too. Taka climbed down and found her broken body, torn apart by the thorns. Tears rolled down his face as he stroked her with his paw. Then Mufasa found his brother, led by Shahida. "Thanks for the help Mufasa!" He snarled.

"I came as quickly as I could! I'm sorry."

"Maybe she would still be alive if you hurried up! All you care about is Sarabi! I have seen you moping around, dreaming about her! There is no room for affection for me in your heart!"

"No Taka! Wait!" But Taka was already running away, back towards Pride Rock. His black tufts flying wildly in the wind. As he ran wildly, a thorn tore into his left eyelid, it left a scar that would stay with him for the rest of his life, it resembled the scar left on his heart by Tata's death.

He was left distraught and made everyone call him Scar. He had changed forever...