Chapter Seven

Many months passed and all the cubs survived their childhood, often at least one cub in a littler would not survive the first year. Chimalsi was so grateful to see his daughters blossom into teenage lionesses. Of course, Tata was still a cub and would be for a few months, she already had an attitude, as did Sala. Sarabi was ahead of the others physically. She was more of a huntress at this point, more muscular. All the girls still had a long way to go though before they became fully grown lionesses, Chimalsi was concerned that not all would make it through. A lot of problems would raise their ugly heads now, relationship issues, trust issues, mood issues, attitude issues, worry issues. But the one he worried about most was the issue of cubs. One of them was bound to make the mistake he and Abla had made.

On the day that recognised one year since their birth, the girls were woken up by their parents. "Come on Sarabi! It's a big day!"

"But....Dad..." She yawned, "I'm so tired!"

"Yes, Sarabi, this is it for you for the next year love."

"Urghhh. Why!"

"It is all a part of the..." He was cut off mid sentence.

"The Great Circle of Life. I know. But why?"

"Sarabi, you will be fine. Anyway, don't you want to be an adult? You always say you want lots of cubs!"

"Yeah yeah....but that doesn't matter now...I'm still tired..." Shahida and Sala jumped over and nudged her to her feet, Sarabi was still small, like her sisters, just stronger. They family then began the task of getting ready for the ceremony...

Abla called over her daughter's one by one, washing their foreheads with her tongue for the last time, from now on they would wash themselves and, after months of practising, they would all have to go on their first hunts soon. Alone. With their fur gleaming in the bright African sun, the five lionesses watched as the two princes emerged from the cave. All of them gaped, even Shahida who was not often impressed by things. But the two male lions were a glorious sight, the girls hadn't seen them in three months due to the princes's Royal Lessons and their own hunting ones. Mufasa's golden fur was radiant in the glowing light of the rising sun, his dark red quiff was slightly fuller now, with little tufts appearing on his elbows and a little strip on his chest. He looked a lot older than before, stronger and less like a cub. Taka was a little smaller than his brother, his terracotta coat shined and he had developed a black quiff on his head which lent backwards over his head, it then went down on the same direction in a single strip. The two young princes strode, slightly nervously, towards the tip of Pride Rock, where they stopped.

Mufasa looked at Taka, "Um," he whispered, "I've forgotten what we have to do now, can you remember Taka?"

"I think we were meant to look Royal and do something......err... Royal?"

"Ok then, let's just roar!"

They had remembered correctly and the two boys stood proudly on Pride Rock and let out two loud roars, Mufasa's needed some work as did Taka's who made more of a hissing sound. Still, the animals all bowed to their future king and his brother. Ahadi and Uru smiled, proud of their sons. Uru leant into Ahadi, burying her face in his mane, "I love you." She whispered.

"I love you too Uru." He whispered to her, leaning deeper into her embrace.

Sarabi was impressed, as were they all, she looked on with immense pride in her best friend. Then it was her turn, she led her sisters towards the tip of Pride Rock, Abla looked on, sitting beside Chimalsi who had lain his paw on hers, he looked at her. Deeply in love with her as usual. Then he turned to watch his daughters, Tata sat between her mother's paws.