Chapter Six

Over the next few days, Sarafina noticed certain changes deep within herself. She did not consult anyone until she could no longer suppress her feelings. One day, after she had been hunting with Sarabi, they were lying on some rocks at the bottom of Pride Rock. Sarabi noticed her friend was acting awkwardly, and she was moving with caution, every step taking immense concentration. "Sarafina? Are you ok?"

"Errrrr....yessss."

"What is it?"

"OK....Sarabi....this is gonna sound.....really....impossible and weird."

"Go on."

"Well...I think I'm....um....pregnant?"

"What?! How? Who?"

"It is possible....it could only be Zuberi's cub. I haven't been with anyone else."

"But he had been dead for like two weeks now..."

"Sarabi...the night before the attack."

"Oh, I get it. Don't explain. Well, I am very happy for you!"

"I'm really scared Sarabi. I don't think I can do this alone. And I never expected this to happen." Sarafina burst into tears.

"Don't worry, I'll help you. I'm sure Uru will too." She smiled. "We will do this together. And I'm sure Mufasa will be more than happy to father your cubs in Zuberi's place."

"Thanks Sarabi. I haven't told anyone else, only you."

"Shall we go and tell Mufasa?"

"Ok."

The lionesses walked up together to find the King lying on the tip of Pride Rock all alone. His head was hung over the edge and he seems to be worked and upset. When he realised Sarabi was there, he immediately forced a smile and acted happily. "Hi! Glad to see you are back to normal Sarafina!"

Of course, Sarabi could see through his act in a way no one else could. The intimacy and understanding between them allowed that. She knew why too, he knew that by now he could be sat where he was now, with a cub at his side. Showing his heir the Pridelands.

"Thank you Mufasa." Sarafina smiled.

"Um, Mufasa? Do you think Zazu could leave for a bit please?" Sarabi asked.

Mufasa nodded and motioned for his Majordomo to go, which he did with the upmost understanding.

"What is it sweetheart?" Mufasa asked, concerned.

"Weeeeeell....Sarafina has some news..."

"Oh, Sarafina? What?"

"Hee hee...um...well...I'm...I don't know....pregnant?"

"Congratulations Sarafina!!! I'm sure you will have beautiful cubs!"

"Thank you Mufasa!" She smiled.

That night Sarabi and Mufasa were in their cave together, "Wow, I didn't see that coming! Especially not this quickly after Zuberi died. Did she do it on impulse?"

"No Mufasa, it's Zuberi's cub."

"What? Well, that is interesting. That is a blessing I suppose, what do you think she is feeling?"

"She seems awfully worried and nervous. I would be though, in her position. I was wondering..."

"Yes?"

"Well, would you mind fathering her cubs?"

"Of course not! I would gladly do that for her." He smiled fondly at Sarabi who was lying on her back, simply staring at the roof of the cave, thinking. He positioned himself so that the upper half of his body lay on her chest. "Oh get off!" She giggled as she pushed him off with her paws. She proceeded to roll over so she was lying beside him with her head enveloped by his mane.