Chapter Thirteen

"Sarabi, Shahida, Sharika, Shuruku?!"

"Yes Dad?"

"What is it? Where's Mother?"

"Could you just let me get the hell out of here?!"

"Hi!"

The girls walked in and out of the shadows came their mother, they hadn't seen her for a while because she had been tired. Chimalsi had actually just been keeping her safe from the teenagers's aggressiveness. "Now girls, your mother is going to have cubs next week."

"What!?"

"Wait you two.....urr"

"Um....and???"

"Yup, just rubbing it in about me and Mufasa aren't you?!"

Chimalsi rolled his eyes, "No girls, this is to support Sala. We sent Zuza over to ask her to visit tonight. But I would like Shahida, Sarabi and Sharika to be present for the birth. You will help your mother. Shuruku, you may watch but keep your paws off ok?"

"Dad...listen....oh stars how do I say this?! I am not sure I want to see.... Definitely not help!"

"Sarabi, it won't be that bad..."

The day came, Sala had told them about the loss of Kifo. Sarabi consoled her sister, she had cried almost non stop for the past days. Ujasiri was staying with them too and Ieashia was introduced to her aunts. She was nervous, she had never been the same after her brother's death. Ieashia was a reserved little cub, quiet but intelligent. She knew a lot about life and paid full attention to her lessons. Tonight she went out to play, with her parents watching her.

"Kifo?" She shouted, then she pounced, "pinned ya!........Yeah....Mummy is still sad.....I miss you!"

Kifo's spirit was still alive within Ieashia's heart and he had chosen her to see him, she had a gift. No one else ever saw Kifo but she did, she was sensitive to these things. However she knew one day he would have to leave her to continue her life alone.

"What the heck is she doing Sala?"

"I don't know Ujasiri, but where I come from....some say they are guided by the stars, the great kings of the past..."

"So Kifo has come to play with her then....interesting..."

The time had come for Abla, Chimalsi waited outside after nuzzling Abla. "I hope I see her again...please father....please let her survive..." He was on the verge of a nervous breakdown as the girls went into the cave.

As dawn broke he heard a cry, then silence. "Dad...I don't know what to say...but....she didn't make it..." Sarabi burst into tears, grief hit Chimalsi and pain surged through his heart. He ran into the cave and saw his light, Abla lay there with her head on the ground, limp. Three cubs lay on the floor around her, "No way....no...it can't be! Tell me it's not true!"

But it was, only two of the five cubs were left breathing and Sharika was cradling them and whispering to them they would be ok. "Dad....I don't know what happened..."

"Abla..." Chimalsi whispered, "don't leave me....please..."

"Dad....please calm down....I know you are grief stricken, we all are...but the cubs must live otherwise Mother died for nothing."

"Sarabi, just leave with your sisters for a minute....you don't understand what it's like to be torn away from the one you love..."

"Actually I do! I haven't seen Mufasa for nine months now....and I will never see him again probably! And it was you and Ahadi who caused it! I hate this! I just HATE it all!!! Why the HELL can nothing ever be good for me?!?!??"