Chapter Twenty Two

Shahida had been being very careful around Sarabi lately, however she had realised that nothing was really happening in her own life anymore. And she needed to know what Fidel was thinking.

So, one day she approached him, "Oh, hi Fidel. I was thinking, I'm going to go and join Sala's pride."

"So that means you will...um be with Ujasiri then?"

"Yes." She turned to go, realising Fidel saw her as no more than a friend. Then she heard a voice. "No! Please! Shahida! You can't go!"

"Why?"

"Because I thought....I thought that maybe.....maybe we could be....together?"

Shahida simply stood there looking stunned, a million emotions running through her mind.

"Well...um...I suppose you could...you know...if you didn't want to come with me...um, sorry." He hung his head and turned around, then he sat down with his his back turned to her, as if he couldn't take the pain of looking at her any longer. Shahida had got it out of him! She was over joyed and pounced on him, then they fell over together onto the grass.

"Wait...Shahida you mean!?"

"Yes! I love you Fidel." They pair lay in that embrace for a while. Then they heard sniggers coming towards them through the long grass. Shahida stood up from her position over Fidel and looked around.

"Hey Fidel! I knew it!"

"Oh Zuberi?! Honestly, you always manage to ruin really great moments."

"Oooo, and how much fun were you having there Fidel?"

"Shut up Zuberi."

"Come on!"

"Shut your face!"

"Ok, you can tell me all about it later. Anyone know where Sarafina is?"

"And he admits it!"

"Oh...don't worry Fidel. I just found her a rabbit, that's all. She hasn't eaten much lately, I think it's because of the Queen."

"Ok then, but I know why you're really going!"

Zuberi rolled his eyes, smiling, he then walked away.

When he finally found Sarafina, she was in the cave where the pride slept with Sarabi. They were best friends and when Mufasa was out, the two spent a lot of time together. And Sarabi had made Sarafina second in command during hunts. Zuberi walked in and cleared his throat. Sarafina turned her head and smiled, Sarabi smiled too and nodded, signalling Sarafina to go. She rose and left, following Zuberi.

"Hi Zuberi!"

"Hey Sarafina! So, what do you want to do today?"

"I don't know, I suppose I'm just thinking a lot. I have been recently. My sisters are growing up, and I think I ought to settle down."

"Settle down!? Are you kidding!?"

"No...what?"

"Hell no! I am not ready for that!"

"Why? But I didn't say you anyway."

"But! I thought we had something!"

"Well, if you're going to behave like this then maybe we don't!"

"Sarafina, what are you talking about?"

"Maybe I don't belong with you! I thought I did!"

"Wait..."

"I'll just go! What the hell would it matter to you anyway?!"

"No! I didn't mean that! I just...I don't know...I just never thought of us like that...do you get me?"