Chapter 17: Heart Attack

Book 1: It was a Mistake, But I am Unbroken Now

Book 2: Here We Go Again When Two Worlds Collide

Book 3: Love is Loud Enough to Stop Hate

Book 4: That's How You Know to Believe in Me

Chapter 17: Heart Attack

The feelings got lost in my lungs

They’re burning, I’d rather be numb

And there’s no one else to blame

So scared I take off and I run

I’m flying too close to the sun

And I burst into flames

            I begged my parents to let me stay home that day, but they refused. I’ve already missed a lot of days so far this year. I should have known the bullying would get bad when I got back. Kayla, David, and Demi were all at the hospital and there was nothing to stop Bethany and Zane from bullying the rest of us that were still here. I walked back into class and the first thing I felt when I sat down was a piece of paper hit me in the head. I opened the paper and read it: one down… 13 to go? I shook my head and threw the paper on the ground and tried to ignore them.

            When I walked out of class one of Zane’s friends tripped me causing all of my books to tumble to the ground. Someone tried to help me up, but they were pushed down. I looked up to see who it was and was surprised to see that it was Jack.

He shook his head, “They’re back at it huh?”

“I guess so. I didn’t really think they’d stop.”

“You were friends with them; I guess you would know better.”

I nodded, “Unfortunately.”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Are you okay?”

He nodded, “I’m fine too.”

“Do you think this is really going to work?” I asked him as I finished picking up my books.

He finished picking up his books and responded, “I hope so. What are we going to do if it doesn’t?”

“I don’t think we’re thinking about this in the right way.”

“What do you mean?”

“We don’t need to convince the bullies to stop all this; we need to convince the rest of the students that bullying is wrong. One of the main problems in this school is that everyone else just stands around and watches it happen. Nobody does anything about it; I know because I used to be one of them.”

“Yeah, I guess there are not a lot of strong, outgoing people in this school.”

“Unfortunately; that’s what makes this whole thing so hard.”

“Because you’re one of the strong ones and nobody else is?”

I shook my head, “Because I’m the opposite.”

“You’re strong to me.”

I smiled, “Thanks. You’re pretty strong too.”

“Nah, but you are.”

“You are,” I assured him. “You tried to help me just now; that was brave of you considering Zane and Bethany were right there.”

“Yeah well I’m not scared of them.”

“That’s part of what makes you strong.”

He smiled, “Thanks Maria.”

“You’re welcome. We should probably be getting to class.”

“Yeah, I’ll see ya later.”

“See ya.”

            I begged and prayed for the day to end soon, but the bullies wanted to punish us for everything we’ve done to stop them. The principal required all teachers to stand out in the hallway between classes and send anyone bullying to the office. I thought the plan was working, but Bethany and Zane found a way around the rule by making sure the teachers weren’t looking when they did something. If that didn’t work, they went around the rules with their lies. On Thursday before I went home Bethany stopped me.

“I know about the assembly.”

“Yeah? I thought everyone did,” I told her back.

She shook her head, “You know you can’t stop us. We’re popular; we have everyone under our control.”

“You do realize that they don’t actually believe what you say right?” I asked sarcastically. “They know you’re the bullies and they’re fully aware that they’re letting you get away with things. It’s not only me that’s trying to stop you. Everyone wants you to stop, but they want it to happen at the right time. Tomorrow is the right time to start. We’re not as pathetic as you think we are.”

“I can’t believe I was actually friends with you.”

“I could say the same thing to you.”

“You’re the one that brought Zane and I together. Therefore, you’re one of us.”

I shook my head, “I’ll never be one of you. You’re a bully. All I did was try to stop bullying and I realize I failed, but at least I tried. That’s more than a lot of others can say.”

She shook her head, “You think you’re so much better than us, but I have news for you: you’re never going to be accepted because we’ll all figure out it’s just an act. You’re so desperate to fit it you’ll do anything; including dating Dylan.”

I sighed, “I know that was wrong, but I never said I was better than any of you. I realize I’ve made mistakes, but everyone does and you shouldn’t hold it against them like that. We’re going to stop bullying whether you like it or not.”

“I guess we’ll find out Friday.”

“I guess we will.”

THE END CHAPTER 17!!

feedback?

please vote and comment!

sorry for the short chapter. Ran out of ideas for this.