Chapter 17

I don't know what time it was, but I was handed a plate of fish by Jason. He seemed to calm down ever since his outburst before, but he was still a little tense.

" Are you okay?" I asked.

He nodded. " Yeah, but...my parents...I can't..."

" I know. I can't get it out of my head either." Just remembering such a thing brought up the familiar acid in my stomach once more, but I managed to keep it down. " I'm gonna have nightmares about this."

" Won't we all?"

" But, something has been bothering me," I said.
" What's that?"

" What time were they killed? If they were killed before midnight, we were still awake at that time, we would have heard something."

" We were in the guest rooms, which are on the other side of the actual mansion. How the hell would we hear them screaming as we played?" he asked.

" No, but there would be blood. Was there a sign of blood at all?"

" I don't know. Our grandparents haven't told us anything, and I'm getting nervous. I understand why they wouldn't tell the younger kids, but what about us older kids? We could handle something like that."

I looked over at my grandmother, who was looking out the window in thought. My grandfather was sitting on the couch, holding a lighter in his hand. He probably wanted to smoke, but something had held him back.

" They're keeping something from us," I muttered. " I want to know."

Jason nudged me. " How about we sneak to find something? I mean, the killer hasn't shown up yet."

" You're really asking for a death wish. Whoever killed them might not be in the mansion, but they're somewhere on the island. I'll be at your funeral if you go."

He frowned. " That seems too real," he said, walking over to Krauss. Wait, he was really gonna ask him? Jason crossed his arms as he stopped in front of him, with his arms folded across his chest.

" Grandfather," he started. " What happened out there? Did you find anything to the murder of our parents?"

Krauss shook his head rather quickly. Jason frowned. " Please, tell me something. They were my parents--your daughter and your son-in-law. And you wouldn't tell your own grandson what happened?"

Krauss sighed and he placed his head in his hands. " Jason, it's more than that. Their bodies were beyond just simple kills. You saw it right? Their stomachs were torn open."

Jason bit his lip. " Alright."

I stood up from the couch. " But Uncle Krauss, is there any evidence of what killed them? There has to be someone else on this island besides us." I frowned. " It could be one of us, or none of us."

Jason turned his head towards me. " Are you accusing someone now?" he asked.
I shook my head. " No, that's not what I'm saying, but they're human...that's for sure."

Eva turned her head towards Miayako and Shizuka, with a small smirk appearing on her lips.

" Grandmother?" Jimmy questioned. " What are you smirking at?" The smirk was then wiped off her face, and she covered her mouth with her fan.

" Oh, nothing. But, did anyone else wonder how Miyako and Shizuka got on this island?"

" They were washed ashore," I answered. I looked at the twins, " but that's all we know. Are you implying that something else happened besides that?"