Chapter 20: A New Light

2 months after the massacre

    " Doctor, are you sure that we should leave her here like this?" The nurse looked down at the small figure that was surrounded by IVs and needles sticking into their arms. There had been no signs of them speaking ever since they were found on the bay, far from the island. Though, the hardest thing was if it was a boy or a girl.

" Leave them alone," the doctor spoke. " They will talk when it's time." 

When the doctor left, the nurse looked back at the emotionless patient. In their records, fishermen found them after the waves had washed them ashore and quickly rushed them to the nearest hospital. One thing that they were sure about is that the patient was under ten years of age. 

The nurse stuffed the blankets under their arms. " Don't worry, you'll be out of here in no time. You just have to wait a little bit longer."

The patient's blue eyes followed her as she walked to the other side of the room, preparing them for another injection. Once the nurse inserted it into their skin, they looked up at the ceiling. 

They felt nothing. 

No pain, no need to cry. 

Nothing. 

Once she finished, the nurse wiped the remaining blood on the patient's shoulder. " You really don't feel anything. I remember when I had another patient, and they wouldn't stop moving around because they were afraid of the needle." She lightly laughed. " And here you are, under ten years of age and you didn't react to anything." 

The patient looked at the nurse, and she stopped talking. She felt that she might have made them uncomfortable. 

" I'm sorry," she muttered. " Other doctors have been spreading rumors saying that you can't hear anything. I wonder if that's true. But, you would have been flinching from the needle just now." The nurse brushed some of their hair off their forehead, showing a bandage wrapped around it. It might have been the cause of their current state. 

" Though, in further research, it says that you might be able to walk when you get older, and talked normal again." The nurse carefully brought the patient to sit up. She quickly made some food and took a small amount and placed it by the their mouth. They resisted a little before putting it in their mouth and chewed. 

The nurse smiled. " I want to know your name. I understand that something might have happened to your family, so when you get out of here, we're putting in a an orphanage." As the patient was finished chewing, she moved her mouth as if they were trying to speak. 

" What are you doing?" 

" M.....nam.....i....mi." 

The nurse only caught a couple of words. " What did you say? Do you think you can say it again?" 

" Ami." 

7 years later....

  Ami Ushiromiya walked alone on school grounds while everyone else talked among their friends. It had been her first day of school since she was fully recovered. A boy came over and put his arm around her. 

" Ami Ushiromiya, good to see you again." 
" Akito," she muttered. He was a good friend of hers since elementary school. " Where is Ren?" 

" She had some errands to run before she came to school. But, forget about her, how are you doing? I haven't seen you in a while." 

" I went through some training because of what happened back then," she answered. Akito nodded in understanding. 

" I see, but you have a lot of work to fix."