Chapter 10: Boxing

Thursday afternoons I had P. E and at lunch time before the lesson there was a bit of hype over what the lesson was. Last week was a bit more chilled because it was the first week back so we just played doge ball, which was a lot of fun, but this week there was more of a buzz.

"What's the excitement about?" I asked the girls when we sat down at a table with our lunches. I began eating my pasta pot as Chloe filled me, Lucy, Rae and Lucy in on the gossip.

"You know that the girls and boys do different sports because the teachers find it easier to handle?" We all nodded. "Well, apparently, because it's our last year they want the top set boys and top set girls to interact with each other and do sports together".

"Aw fuck" Rae said whacking her fist on the table "I'm in third set".

Before we could continue the conversation about P. E Shelbie asked "Okay, can someone please explain to me, in full detail, the meaning of the sets that we are in for all of our lessons because even after five years at this school I still do not fucking understand it".

"You are so blonde Shelbie" Chloe said.

"So are you" she said back.

"Yea but mines dyed, I'm naturally brunet" Chloe said. We were all giggling lightly at the conversation between the two bombshells before Lucy took over.

"Okay Shelbie listen carefully because I am not  explaining it again" Lucy said. Shelbie nodded and she continued. "The school is divided into three houses: St. Patrick, which we are in, St. Ambrose which . . . " She thought for a moment of an example. "Louis Tomlinson and Zayn Malik are in, and St. Claire, that Liam Payne and Harry Styles are in. Across the year groups we are put into classes based on our knowledge in every subject. For example: Madison is in top set for P. E because she works hard, knows what she is doing 99.9% of the time and has a strong attitude for it".

I raised my hand and gave a silly smile for being used as an example. 

"Whereas Rae is in third set because, although she's good and doesn't bother the teachers, she doesn't try as hard as others but is just above the bottom set because she has an 'okay' attitude for it. Do you get me so far?"

Shelbie nodded.

"In simpler words: If you don't give an absolute shit about the subject, don't try and don't work, you're in bottom set. If you have a good attitude but don't live up to the expectation's of the work but are trying, your in third set. If you have a strong attitude, work hard and do all you can, you're in second. Finally if you are absolutely perfect in a subject, know it inside out, dedicate yourself to it and have the right attitude, you're in top. The only lesson when the boys and girls are divided is for P. E because most girls don't like doing sports like football or ruby".

"Ahem" I muttered under a fake cough.

"Understand?"

"Yes. Thank you Lucy" Shelbie said and the girls hugged it out.

"No problem".

"So your telling me" I said "That people in the top and second set for P. E are loosing their shit all because we might be working with people of the opposite sex. Because if that's honestly what we get excited for nowadays, I'm done".

The girls laughed at my point but also agreed with it.

"You know who's in the top set boys in P. E?" Shelbie said.

"Oh let me guess . . ." I said resting my hand on the table, taking my nail and pretending to think. "The 'Bad Boys' perhaps".

"Yep".