Chapter 11: Connection

As we all stood at the wall on opposite sides of the Hall Mr Ray red out pairs of boy's and girl's on his clipboard.

"And guy's just a quick note" Mr Ray said "You have gloves and gum shields, and before someone has a moan, yes the gum shields have been washed, and I want you to stick to jabs and hooks. But also, I want you to try as hard as you can and just enjoy it guys".

I leaned into Chloe and whispered to her "I bet he's praying that someone punches Louis so hard in the face his nose bleeds".

Chloe laughed. "Yea I bet he is too".

"Alright first pair are . . ." Mr Ray said "Max and Charlene".

We all watched as the two contenders walked to the circle and put there gloves on and gum shields in their mouths. Before the fight started they did a sort of fist bump and then took a step back from each other.

"You have three minutes guys, the first one to be pushed out of the drawn circle o the first to fall on the floor loses" Mr Ray said lastly before starting the three minutes on his stop watch.

And the fight began.

Charlene is one of those girls who is scared of everything in P. E lessons so every time Max went to do a jab she practically screamed. She managed to do a lot of perfect dodges however.

For two minutes all they did was try and punch each other and it was painful to watch.

"Charlene, hook, hook" I yelled from the wall. She heard me and gave Max a harsh jab to the side.

All the girls began to cheer when Charlene did another hard hook and got in a strong jab, knocking Max out of the circle.

"Charlene well done you won" Mr Ray said "Okay next pair, Louis and Chloe you're next".

As Max returned to the boy's side of the Hall I heard laughs, sneers and more than a few insults for being beaten by a girl.

"Hey Chloe" I said as she began to walk to the centre. She turned around. "Remember the nose".

She lightly laughed then carried on walking to where the gloves are and a clean set of gum shields had been placed there. Like Max and Charlene they did a gloved bro fist then took a few steps back from each other.

And the fight began on Mr Ray's whistle.

As much as I loved Chloe, I couldn't deny what a shit fighter she was. Every time Louis took a step towards her, she practically jumped away from him. Every time he went to jab her, Chloe squealed. Loudly.

"C'mon girlie, punch him" I yelled from the sides.

Louis heard the comment and looked over at me. Even with the gum shield in his mouth I could hear him jokingly say "Cheers mate!"

Chloe saw an opportunity to get a good jab at Louis and went straight for his face.

"Yes Chloe" I cheered. Louis had a little bit of spit running down his chin from the gum shield in his mouth as he staggered back, completely shocked from the attack. But as before he only had to take a few steps forward and Chloe's confidence from the punch faded and she was once again freaking out.

She put her gloved hands on either side of her head in a desperate attempt to shield herself from Louis, who began to punch her gloved hands near her face. I could see from the wall that Louis' punches weren't that hard but Chloe was still panicking about it so she did what any distress girl would do.

Stepped out of the boxing circle.

"Well done Louis you won, nice effort Chloe" Mr Ray said.

The next few fight's were nothing exciting but as time went on, and when we only had about 25 minutes left, I really wanted to have ago and have a fight myself.