Chapter Nineteen: Chicks Dig Men Who Work Out

Dick just wanted to leave, he wanted to bolt out of that room. His adrenaline was screaming at him to run away from the other teen. But, you can never outrun the past. Dick waited a bit, eyes narrowing. "Well?"

Connor frowned, looking confused. "Well what?"

"I was expecting to be punched into the wall or at least yelled at...Don't you hate me? I lied to you, I am dangerous, I deserve a good punch to the face."

Connor shook his head. "I am angry"

"Sure does not look at it..looks more like you accidently ran over someone's pet...grim." Robin frowned sitting down next to the other when he realized the other was not planning on making any moves against. Looks like the Wayne Manor lives to see another day. "I...I don't get you Supes." The teen sighed, shaking his head.

"And I do not understand you."Was all the Kryptonian answered.

The two sat there awkwardly, Robin staring down at his hands, not even one of his usual quirps could not break the tension between the two teens. He sat silently, thinking about what he said. He could not believe he admitted about Tony Zucco..Bruce didn't even know that. Robin ran his hands through his hair again, a habit he has gotten from stress.

"You joined the League...To get revenge for your loved ones."

Robin nodded slowly not replying. The way the other said it was cold and deadpanned, like it was not as complicated as it actually was.

"How old were you when you killed him?..The Zucco guy..." The kryptonian continued.

Robin leaned back in thought..It was cold and snow was on the ground..he remembered what the day was like down to the letter, but he had never put a date on it. It was not like he went to his calendar and circled the date as 'The Anniversary of killing parents' murder' with highlighting,stickers,smiley face and the little hearts over the i's .Robin thought a bit harder, his years as an assassin were all blurred together, dates and his age never came up. Could you imagine the idea of the League of Shadows all circled around someone with a cake singing 'Happy Birthday'? Dick laughed at the thought. "I do not remember how old I was, age is something that never came up."Connor nodded again, a look of pity beginning to cross his features. Robin hated pity, more than anything. He did not want it and he most certainly did not need it. "Don't give that look, it is not whelming at all." He muttered a bit.

"Why do you do that?"Connor asked

"Do what?" Dick frowned, confused at the other's words.

"The 'whelmed' thing..where you chop up words."

"Oh that." The raven-haired laughed bleakly, tears beginning to well up in his eyes again. "It's nothing, just a ongoing family joke I suppose..It has become more of a habit than anything." He was trying to keep his voice even, remembering his dad trying to teach him english when he was a boy. The words stung a bit coming out of his mouth as more memories flooded his vision. His Mother and Father's laugh, the way they looked at each other, the circus.. More than ever now, Dick just wanted to run away, back to his Circus and the new family he created. He knew he couldn't, going back would just put his loved ones in danger.

Connor noticed the silence has returned, The young hero seemed to be zoning out in his own thoughts, tears cascading down his face. The kryptonian stared like a deer in headlights, not quite sure what to do to help the obviously suffering teen. What would M'gann do in this situation? How would she try and cheer him up. Connor pondered this for a moment before awkwardly wrapping his arms around Robin. The Boy stiffened at the movement, but never pulled away.

"W-what are you doing.." His voice cracked a bit, struggling to keep back the tears again.

Connor felt the boy trembling in his arms. Was he not doing it right? He has seen the other members do this many times before..was he crushing the other teen? He was about to let go but the teen hugged him back, not letting go.

"I swear if you ever tell this happened to any of the other members...I will have your head." The young hero muttered into Connor's shirt, slowly seeming to start becoming his usual chipper self.

"I won't.. I promise." Connor laughed a bit.

-----

Bruce sat in his recliner, reading the newspaper. It seemed awfully quiet upstairs and he was beginning to worry a bit. Perhaps his plan of getting Richard to open up more had not worked as he hoped. He was about to get up and see if the two were alright, but he heard steps coming down from the staircase. His body eased a bit, eyes returning back to the paper he was reading. It seems the boys have continued with the tour.

"So this is where I usually train." Richard and connor had walked past bruce, Richard wanted to let his guardian have the little bit of free time he can actually have before going out on patrol. "And here is where I usually bring over the hot dates as well." The boy said sarcastically "Chicks dig men who work out."

Connor rolled his eyes, glad to see that Robin was his usual self again. Hugs supposebly do wonders, he would need to keep that in mind for later use. Also mentally thanking M'gann for the idea. "So does that mean Bruce is the..."

"Yep. A lot nicer as a civilian huh, totally would have never guessed it was him in a million years." Dick chuckles, continuing with the tour, and eventually ending at the batcave. "Pretty cool right? Bruce let me drive the Batmobile once..totally felt the aster when that baby hit 130." Both the teen's communicators went off. "This is Robin." Dick commented

"I am also here" Superboy commented, a bit disappointed that their conversation was cut off.

"Meet us at Mount Justice." Kaldur replied

Robin grinned "Alright we will meet you there." He looked up to Connor "So can I count on you to keep my identity a secret?"

Connor nodded, smiling at his unlikely friend. "Let's go, we have a mission."