Chapter 4

"Hello Zoe," the librarian said as I entered the library.

Waving, I walked over to the nonfiction section of the library. There were countless books on traditions and teachings, but what I was really after was a book on mates.

I spent almost an hour combing through the library to find a few books, and when I had finished there were only three.

I skimmed through each book, looking for stories and references to wolf-less werewolves who had mates; and I found nothing.

Sighing, I returned the books and sat down at a computer. I searched the library, online this time, and found a book. It was on a very high shelf in the research portion of the library.

I closed the computer and walked over the section it was supposedly in. The book was at the top of the shelf, with a bright red book cover. This should be interesting.

After several failed attempts at throwing things at the book, I went in search of a ladder. Finding one in the library was easier than I would like to admit.

Written in the book was the traditional history of mates and werewolves. Blah blah blah.The book also spoke about why the Moon Goddess created mates and what was needed in order to find and have one.

"To find your mate both must be at least of the age sixteen or older. In addition to this vital rule, both must have shifted at least once. This is to ensure that that particular bond is true and not fleeting," I read aloud, confused.

I have not shifted. Then how...

Shrugging, I placed the book next to the computer I was sitting next to. Standing I went in search of another book.

This time the search went well, I found a book almost immediately- a book of legends.

Skimming the index, I stopped at a startling title.

"The Moon and Her Given Child"

I checked the page number and flipped to it.

"The original Queen of the Werewolves, our eternal Moon Goddess, had made a promise at the beginning of time. She promised a young woman a child, a girl. This girl would be hers to raise, to be guided by her and taught to hold strength, honesty, and loyalty above all else. The young woman was given this task on the grounds that she would tell the child nothing of the agreement until she had completed her warrior training. The young woman agreed and pledged her soul and loyalty to the Moon Goddess. Thus, when the young woman's time to be born came, she remembered the promise from the time of her birth. When it was her time, the young woman gave birth to a girl. Many were confused of how this was, for she did not have a mate and they all knew of her isolated life. The young woman refused to explain, neither claiming nor denying anything said about her and her child. A few short years later she met her mate, and his anger radiated when she introduced him to her child. He asked how she had a child and who her father was. Once again she refused to explain. He begged her again, but she refused once more. Her mate left her, her daughter was three years old. Heartbroken, the woman realised her mistake and offered the Moon-Goddess the child back so she might have her mate again. When the Moon-Goddess refused, the woman sighed and accepted her lonely fate. The Moong Goddess reminded her what she had promised. The young woman was then filled with a sense of purpose and she settled down to raise the child well. The child was to become a leader and skilled fighter. She will learn the truth years later."

I slowly closed the book, my hands tracing the leather cover. My mother never talked about my father or anyone else on his side of his family. I had always presumed that he was an ass how had abandoned him. The legend could be about us The chances are rather slim, but there is still a chance. Nearly everything added up, but I knew I would have to ask my mother if I actually wanted closure.

Quickly, I checked the clock. It was just past noon, so I decided to check the two books out to read more. Giving the librarian a smile, I grabbed the books and dashed out of the library.