Chapter 8

"Wake. Up." I snap. "You are holding a loaded gun, you idiot. Act like it." I keep my position for a minute, then slowly lower the gone. Once the immediate threat is gone, his eyes harden. I'm only slightly impressed that he can keep his mouth shut. Since he'd lived in Candor and had always been encouraged to speak his mind, it's got to be a challenge. His cheeks turn bright red. I turn away and start pacing in front of the initiates

"And to answer your question...you are far less likely to soil your pants and cry for your mother if you are prepared to defend yourself." I stop at the end of the row and turn on my heel. "This is also information that you might need later in stage one. So, watch me."

I turn and face the wall with the targets. I stand with my feet shoulder-width apart and hold the gun in both hands. I take a deep breath and fire. Like always, the bullet goes straight through the center of the target.

After my demonstration, I allow the initiates to start firing their guns. I watch them carefully. That idiot Drew- like Peter, a Candor transfer- might be stupid enough to point the gun at someone's head and fire for all I know. Tris postitions herself and hesitates, then pulls the trigger. It misses the target, and the recoil makes her stumble backwards. She uses her hand to balance her against the wall and fires several more times.

The blonde Erudite transfer next to her, Will, says something quietly to her, grinning. She replies, and then he says something else before she turns to face the target again, her eyes narrowing in concentration.

She pulls the trigger again, prepared for the recoil this time. She hands jump back, but she keeps her feet planted firmly on the ground. Her bullet blows a chunk out of the right side edge of her target. Not too bad of a shot, but not a deathblow, either.

Will says something to her, and she smiles up at him. It takes her five rounds to hit the center of the target continuously. Pretty impressive, for a Stiff.

I have a feeling that even if the others don't realize it yet, she's going to be difficult competition, even for the Dauntless-borns like Marlene and Uriah. Which is really saying something.