Chapter 2

The girl reaches out and grabs my hand. I pull her forward and help her off the net. At first I thought that she was a Candor transfer, and that the black and white of her clothes were blending together. Now I see that she's Abnegation. Not exactly tall, or most peoples' definition of pretty, but there's something about her that I can't quite put my finger on.

It takes me a moment to recognize her.

Okay, so we'd never actually met. But her parents, if I remember correctly, are Andrew and Natalie Prior. Her parents and brother- what's his name? Calen?- were always extremely selfless. I'd never really heard much about them having a daughter, though. She was always very quiet.

"Thank you," she says quietly. She looks as though she wants to look at the ground, but knows that since she's now in Dauntless, she can't do that.

"Can't believe it." Lauren says behind me, a smirk on her face. Probably to intimidate the girl. "A Stiff, the first to jump? Unheard of." Her eyes flash over to me as if to say ha. I hadn't been the first jumper for my initiate class.

"There's a reason why she left them, Lauren." I reply coolly before turning back to the girl. "What's your name?" I hope she understands that this is her one and only chance to change her name.

"Um..." She hesitates. Probably not used to the attention and such.

"Think about it." I say, smiling faintly. "You don't get to pick again."

She's silent for another moment. "Tris." She says firmly.

"Tris." Lauren repeats, grinning. "Make the announcement, Four."

I look over my shoulder to the top of the builing. "First jumper- Tris!"

A crowd appears at the edge of the roof. They cheer loudly for her, and then another person drops down into the net, her screams following her down. Definitely not Dauntless-born. Several people chuckle at the girl.

I set my hand on Tris's back. "Welcome to Dauntless."