A new chapter

Every day I look at the world from my window
But chilly, chilly is the evening time

Waterloo sunset's fine

Waterloo Sunset

The Kinks

2014, June

The time passed quickly, the seasons changed. November went by, Christmas came, Christmas passed by, the winter came, winter disappeared, spring awakened nature again and summer was here now - laughter quickly replaced tears - and life smiled.

That's how it worked; life's young summer. It came and went faithfully, but was unpredictable. It was there one morning, and filled weeks ahead with sunshine and idyll. A break from the ordinary and sad circumstances. I was filled with new energy and new courage. The future was the target. I could handle anything. No matter how unattainable it was, there was so much value in life.

Suddenly, I found myself in the middle of June, half way into the year 2014. It was a fairly quiet Wednesday morning in London when I walked up to my mother in the kitchen. She had visited us for a few days' time this week. We were in our flat and June had been out with some girlfriends the night before to celebrate someone's birthday. She wasn't back home yet since she slept over at at her friend's place. That's all she'd texted me.

I looked at my mother who was going travel by the tube in about a half an hour. She had dark blond hair, blue eyes and tired wrinkles around the eyes. She was a beautiful woman in the 50's, with some facial features like Meryl Streep. Naturally she didn't agree and always grunted with a small scoff if someone brought it the same room as her.

Mum kept her eyes fixed down in the teacup she held with both hands. The steam rose from it. I knew she really wanted to stay longer than a few days, she missed London and her life here, despite the fact that she constantly reminded me that she lived happily outside the city with Pete. She was going to retire in a couple months time, grow old with Pete, and planned to run their tiny art gallery until their last days.

She read the newspaper that was placed on the kitchen counter when I came up to her side. She read aloud proudly about her friend's daughter who was now going to participate in the next Olympics.

My hair was still wet after a way too long shower an hour ago. It used so much time air-drying, but since the previous hair dryer of ours was broken I had no choice. After mum would leave, I was to prepare myself for another late shift at The Elephant's Head. Hah, I hoped my hair would be dry by then...

Mum looked over at me and it was obvious that she was searching for the right words.

"Billie," she began and sighed. I tilted my head to the left and waited.

What is it now? Is she about give me the education speech again? Perhaps she and Pete are about to have one of those abrupt divorces? She's getting remarried, maybe. No, it certainly has something to do with me. She wants me to study, quit my job. No, she knows about the money we get from Dom and Steph.

"About June..." she continued slowly. I looked her straight in the eye. Hers were empty, but still uncertain at the same time.

A muscle jerked slightly below my right eye.

"Yes? What about June..?" I said sharply and put my hands on my hips.

She nodded as if she was preparing and gathered her thoughts. "I.. Yeah, well, we all know of June's addiction. We know she always..." Mum swallowed before she breathed out: "Well, you do take care of her, right?"