Merci bien

It felt strange to be called Miss Hampton, but it was a little cool too, I must admit that. I could barely keep up with the conversation between the driver and me since I was constantly distracted by the different spectacular architecture and lights Paris devoured me.

"You're staying at a very nice hotel, one of the finest in Paris. It's rare I'm driving passengers to such exceptional places." the driver told me.

He drove pleasantly and steady - looked like the smaller one of the two villains in Home Alone, the one with golden tooth. I rather wished I knew his name.

I didn't say much, feeling the familiar, but uninvited, sensation of adrenaline that made my blood quicken and the electricity that made my skin tingle.

The driver was already prepaid. Of course he was. He wished me an enjoyable stay in Paris as he handed me my suitcase having parked outside the hotel. I thanked him, offered him some euros in tips but he refused to accept them. I thanked him again, stupid as I was, stood left on the pavement and watched the car drive away.

Not until then I got the opportunity to look at the hotel I was standing outside. The sun shone slightly on the walls, the time had just passed six in the evening, I reckoned. I studied the massive building with an even more massive grin. It was a wonderful sight. Old lampposts and flowerbeds in golden colours... And white flowers, of course. The hotel was eggshell white and consisted of several floors, probably eight or ten, with large windows and balconies that stretched along the walls. Very Parisian.

I directed my gaze towards the entrance where two guards were placed like they were protecting a castle. I stood still for a while, and for a moment I didn't know if I could handle all this, not on my own.

As a response to what I thought, suddenly a broad-shouldered, bald man walked out of the big glass doors. At first it looked like he wasn't stepping out to meet me - he turned his head from side to side with this strict, concentrated expression - but then he smiled tightly when he looked at me.

"Miss Hampton. We've been expecting you." he told me with a rough, French accent.

"Oooh..!" was the only thing that left my mouth.

  Silly.

"Let me take your luggage." he said. I smiled at the way he said "luggage", he could might as well have said sweetcake instead of suitcase.

It didn't appear to me that he was working in this hotel, I didn't think he was wearing some kind of hotel uniform. Perhaps he was acting like a sort of security, or something?

"After you." he smiled. I noticed he had a few earrings pierced in his right ear as he was pointing in the direction towards the hotel's entrance.

I nodded, said a pathetic: "Merci bien," and did as he said. He took care of my suitcase and placed it next to me when I had taken a couple of steps into the lobby.

It reminded me a bit of the hotel I had dropped by getting ready for the premiere in London, but this reception was slightly more luxurious and.. yeah, bigger. The desks were guarded by two thin women, both with dark lipstick and tight ponytails. They didn't seem to notice me at all, and I frowned to myself. Was I not supposed to check in or something?

"Monsieur Manon will take your suitcase to your hotel room. If it is all right for you, I will immediately take you to those who are expecting you." explained this.. security guard, and he bowed in a way.

Aha, that explains it.

"Yes, thank you!" I said a little too loudly, yes, most certainly too loudly, and pursed my lips. He smiled at me adding a little chuckle.