Q&A-time

"So..." Harry said.

I stared at him, at his lips tugging to the side in a small smile; at his heavily lashed eyes, childish and soulful.

I could not stop smiling, raising my eyebrows.

Harry scratched the side of his nose with a thumb, and continued: "I've got an idea. I've never done this before, but let's try. You ready?"

I nodded hesitantly in response, answering: "OK..?"

What - do you want to do some roleplaying or some shit?, I thought. 

Do you have a fetish with waitresses? Please don't tell me this is your big dream coming true - The Day I Picked Out One Lucky And Random Girl To Write A Song About Hawaii With Me.

"'K, it's Q&A-time." Harry said and began drumming his fingers lightly on the tabletop.

"Q&A-what?" I frowned.

"Well, I'd.. I'd liked to get to know you, Billie," he said with an unusually light touch on my name, as if Billie was his own name and he pronounced it all the time.

"So I think we should ask each other some, erm, direct questions. Like, a very.. direct quiz. Alright?"

"So.. So we'll just ask each other, like, questions..?"

"And you have to be completely honest."

"Yeah, I swear."

Harry nodded, pretending to be very impressed by my agreement, saying: "OK, OK. First question?"

"You go first." I said and pointed my finger at him.

Harry pondered a few seconds and then smiled.

"Okay... Erm, so, err.. T-tell me... Why d'you work here?" he asked, and he spoke in exaggeratedly slow, clear tones, as though faced with a five-year-old. That amused me, although it made me very awkward.

I offered Harry a really?-are-we-doing-this?-look.

But he didn't say anything further, he just sat there with that small smirk.

"Very well," I said and swallowed, gathering my thoughts.

"Well, my mum's brother owns a couple of places here in town, and offered me a job here quite.. yeah, quite a while ago, I think? Err, we had.. what should I call it..." I muttered and fumbled as I scratched the back of my neck, a nervous gesture.

"We had a period of time, my big sister and I, when things weren't that easy. And we needed the money, I needed somethin' to do. I'm just not currently studying, and.. it works out well. Yeah, so I've decided to just.. stay."

"A loyal person, in other words." Harry said and gave a light laugh, a slight shrug.

"An afraid person, I'm afraid..." I added dramatically.

I was stupid enough to grimace sarcastically, and my cheeks warmed as Harry chuckled at me. He had that kind of laugh one easily can get lost in. And I guess I really did.

"So..." I said and sighed, "it's my turn now, right?"

He nodded encouragingly.

"Erm, okay.." I curled my toes inside my shoes before I went on: "Do you sometimes wish you weren't a.. well-known person?"

Jesus, you are so stupid. Tit. Twat. Shitface.

But it was the first thing that had occurred to me.

"Yes. OK - next question: Are you oft- "

I stopped him by holding a hand up in the air: "Waaaait, wait, wait..."