4: Pep Rally Night

Chapter Four

"You explain it. Last night, I'm watching 9-0. Commercial break comes on and I'm like, 'I bet it's that phone commercial.' And sure enough it's the guy and the girl with the bench, he flies to Paris and he flies back. They take a picture," Bonnie was telling us.

"Oh, come on," Elena scoffed. "That commercial's on a constant loop."

"Fine. Well, how about this? Today, I'm obsessed with numbers. Three numbers. I keep seeing 8, 14, and 22. How weird is that?" Bonnie asked.

"Maybe we should play the lottery," Elena mocked and I elbowed her. "Have you talked to your Grams?"

"She's just gonna say we're witches."

"I don't wanna be a witch. Do either of you you?" Bonnie pouted at us.

"I don't want to be witch," Elena said while I shook my head no furiously.

"And putting it in a nice bowl isn't fooling anybody," Bonnie commented. Both girls were pouring take out food into bowls while I was sitting at the island observing.

"Okay, serving spoons. Where are the serving spoons?" Elena thought out loud.

"Middle drawer on your left," Bonnie stated, turning around to point. Elena went to the drawer and pulled out the serving spoon.

"Okay, so you've been in this kitchen like, a thousand times," Elena shrugged.

"Yeah, that's it," Bonnie said sarcastically. The doorbell then rang and I got up to get it, shooting Elena a thumbs up while she sighed in relief, continuing to prepare the food to take it to the dining room.

"Okay, he's here. Don't be nervous. Both of you just be your normal loving self," I heard Elena say. I rolled my eyes and opened the door. I smiled as I saw Stefan standing there.

"Hey, Kenzie.

I waved and stepped back, gesturing for him to come inside. "Thanks," he said. He walked past me and I shut the door. I placed a hand on his arm, tugging him to the dining room where Elena and Bonnie were thankfully situated.

"Hey," Elena smiled at him.

"Hi," he said back, kissing her cheek. He greeted Bonnie who gave him a nod of aknowledgement. Elena told us all to sit and we let dinner begin.

"Did Tanner give you a hard time today?" Elena asked Stefan, breaking the awkward silence between us all.

"Well, he let me on the team, so I must have done something right," Stefan shrugged.

"Guys, you should have seen Stefan today. Tyler threw a ball right at him, and-" Elena was saying.

"Yeah, we heard," Bonnie interrupted. It was true. Someone told us this morning while we were at our lockers.

"Hey, Bonnie, why don't you tell Stefan about your family?" Elena tried again.

"Um, divorced. No mom, live with my dad," Bonnie said and I bit back a smile.

"Mm," Stefan hummed.

"No, about the witches," Elena said. "Bonnie's family has lineage of witches, it's really cool."

"Cool isn't the word I'd use," Bonnie retorted.

"Well, it certaintly is interesting," Stefan shrugged. "I'm not too versed, but I do know that there's a history of Celtic Druids that migrated here in the 1800s.

"My family came way of Salem," Bonnie said.

"Really? Salem witches?"

"Yeah."