Goodbye and Hello

"Come oonnn!" Tristan groaned from her top bunk bed while stuffing her bag. It's your first year in The Running and Tristan was finally old enough to go. Her birthday was yesterday and mine was last month. So she is one month and two days younger than. "I'm coming, Tris!" I yelled at her from the top bunk. She plugged her ears. "Was that necessary?" She asked as she put another jacket into her bag. "Yep." I said simply. "Dad we have to go!" I yelled but I was cut off because he snuck up behind me and picked me up and spun me around like I was five. "I'm gonna miss you...not. I'm coming back as soon I as finish the run." I said as we did a group hug. "Me too!" Tristan added. "Maybe you will, maybe you won't get caught but I'm praying for you the whole time you are away." Dad said. We squeezed each other once more. "We're coming back!" We yelled as we walked out the door. I heard Dad chuckle once. Then...we were on the truck taking us to the edge of our territory.

"Do you want to get caught?" Mariah asked me. "Never...I mean...?" I was confused by the question. "It's ok if you do. I know I want to but I want to get to the end." "Well, I guess it would be fun to stay in a different house for a month." I said. Mariah giggled.
The truck lurched and we clutched each other for support. "What was that?" Mariah asked. "I bet it was a hole...or...we just ran over my dad." I said. We giggled again. "Why must you be so violent?" Chelsea asked. She is one of my least favorite people in this world but that was all going to change. "Why are you so freakishly annoying?" I asked. Mariah bit back a giggle. "No one calls my sister annoying but me..." Someone muttered from behind her. A thin, blonde haired, boy was standing behind her. "Sorry she was being mean to me too." I said. "We're you being mean to this pretty girl, C?" He asked her. I bit back a laugh. "She was being violent...and annoying." "C!" He said. Then she did something I would have never guessed she would do. SHE HUGGED BOTH OF US! I was so startled that I just stood there. "There better?" She asked as she released us. "Yep." Her brother and I said in unison. I bit back a giggle. There was another lurch and I went flying into a pair muscular arms.
I looked up and saw only one thing.
BIG BROWN EYES
He was strikingly handsome and had beautiful brown eyes. "S-s-s-sorry." I stuttered as I tried to get off his lap, but there was another bump. I fell back into his lap. "Well, I guess your staying here then." He said and he wrapped his arms around my waist. "I guess so, I'm Sarah." I said, smiling. "I'm Alex." He said as we shook hands. His hands were surprisingly warm. The weather in November is really really cold. I don't know how he is so warm. "Is this your first year too?" He asked while scratching the back of his neck. "Yeah. Cool." I said, getting off his lap finally. We chatted for a while and I learn a lot about him. He has a small family too. A mother and a brother. And he is seventeen but he was in another pack last year so he didn't participate in last years Running. He wouldn't tell me which pack he was in. He even introduced me to his brother. (e26fd716323e7e2db0da42e53c9b73) Then I said goodbye and walked over to a open-mouthed Mariah. "What do I have gum in my hair?" I asked. "No, you just talked to a boy and you didn't even blush! ONCE." she said. I though about it. "No, I guess I didn't. Then he's probably not the one then." I said. 'It's because you are comfortable with him. Don't give up get' Izze told me.