the Bridge above the Highway

Amanda & Jesse

"I'm not sure, Jesse" Amanda stated, running her hand nervously through her long wavy hair. Jesse turned around, putting a bun in her hair, getting ready.

They were standing on a bridge just above the widest highway they could find nearest to the hospital they were suppose to return to in 23 minutes. Nurse Jackie had only given them half an hour to sneak off before Amanda was suppose to be prepped for surgery.

"Cancer aint gonna wait for ya" Jesse told her. "C'mon. they won't even see our faces, our shirts will cover 'em" Jesse looked sympathetically at Amanda "it aint even cold out" she said convincing.

Amanda smiled contagiously. They chuckled and grabbed the hem of their shirts and looked at each other the last time before pulling up their shirts and flashing every car on the highway, some honked some drove out of lane but the best part was the freedom, the release.

Jesse had been anxious for Amanda's surgery so she immediately grabbed Amanda's hand and ran out when she heard the news, ofcourse with nurse Jackie's approval, although she didn't know what they were doing. Jesse felt they should do something before they wouldn't be whole anymore, ofcourse Amanda would only be loosing her boobs in the surgery but still, Jesse felt like they should honor the part she'd be loosing, silly but she felt obligated to do so. It took quite convincing to get Amanda to do it but there wasn't much time for her to agree on it since Jesse only told her what they'd be doing as they were running towards the highway.

The warm breeze caressed Amanda's boobs. Thinking that this would be the last and only time she'd do something like this was saddening. Having Jesse there, her life long friend was better, things had always been better with Jesse around.

They looked at each other, throwing their heads back in laughter, squinting their eyes and their stomach hurting from laughter. It was at this moment that they both knew that no matter what happened, nothing could top that moment.