Chapter 23

Peeta POV

Watching the Games again makes me feel like I have to have an episode. Right here, right now, in the control room. But luckily, I can control them. Macie and Ewan are doing well, and that relieves me a little. They joined the Careers like I did, and so far don't have any problems. Yet. Katniss is ok, I think, but she really wants this to be over soon. She and I chipped in to get some food for Macie and Ewan, and some ointment for his cheek. Surprisingly, this stuff is really expensive. But with our victor money, we could afford it all. As the Games progress, parachutes will be much more expensive.

When I saw Ewan fighting with the girl from 10, I thought, "Oh no. She's probably good at killing people. She looks vicious. Nevermind, she's a goner."  I see Katniss huddled up in the corner, peeking at the screen through her fingers. I go over to her and wrap her in my arms. I know its hard watching the Games after being in one, especially for us. What we've been through together makes it especially hard.

"Peeta?"

"Yes?"

"What happens if they don't make it? What happens if Lynch doesn't make it? I mean, just look at that giant cut on his arm."

"They'll be ok. Macie knows to pair with Lynch to keep him safe, and you trained her how to fix cuts and stuff like that. Plus, Ewan has a 12/12 score. He can protect both of them. He promised me yesterday that he would keep her safe. He told me he loves her, and would do anything and everything to protect her. Like if he's going to die, he needs her to win. Do you feel better now?"

"Yeah, I do. Ewan really loves Macie?"

"Yes he does."

'That's good. Maybe if they play the card we played during our Games, they can win. We just need to help them along the way. The worst of it is over. Now they just need to off the Careers and let the others thin the herd, then come down to the last few. They'll win then." she explains.

"I'm glad you figured it out then. Let's keep watching to see what happens."

We watch as Macie fixes Lynch's arm and Ewan's cheek, and Lynch tells his story about Carlyle. Katniss sheds a tear as he tells the story, and I wipe it away with my thumb. She puts her head on my shoulder, and I put mine on top of hers. Later on, we watch Ewan snuggle up to Macie. Katniss looks a little surprised at this, but not much. He knows Ewan loves her, and this is a good thing. I just don't know how they both will win. Maybe a double suicide threat again, but that's definitely not a good idea. Macie is smart, and has already made up a plan of how to get pretty far. We just need to help them get the rest of the way.

Katniss POV

Seeing Macie all snuggled up with Ewan reminds me of the night I found Peeta in the cave. The excitement, yet scariness of it all. Trying to take care of someone who is unable to do much for themselves is hard enough when you are trying to fight for your own life. I know they can make it through to the end, being they both have the highest training scores out of everyone.

After about 10 minutes of watcing them sleep, the mentors all go home to go to bed, and the night-shift Gamemakers come in. We get to our floor in the condo, and put our pajamas on. I stay up to watch a little TV, not the Games, and find nothing good to watch. I go into the bedroom where Peeta is. He is still up, reading a book.

"Why aren't you sleeping? It's almost 11:00." I ask.

"You weren't here to help me fall asleep." It still amazes me that we both can't sleep without each other being in the room. What will happen when one of us in dead?

The next day, we do the usual: get up, eat breakfast, take a shower, get dressed, drive to the arena, watch more kids get killed. Nothing much happens today, yet, but I can tell Macie wants to off the Careers soon. Maybe even today they will. It's risky, but I know they can do it.

Macie POV

Not much happens today. We move to an area closer to the pond, hunt for food, scavenge for berries, purify drinking water. Then it all comes down to the night. I am planning on killing the Careers in their sleep tonight. Then it will be just me and Ewan, plus the probability of dying in our sleep. I am definitely not going to kill Lynch, but he doesn't know about our plan. Ewan made up a signal, indicating we would do it tonight. He scratches his chin, signaling to me. We pretend to fall asleep in each others arms. The Careers all know about us, since we did wake up holding each other. Everyone is sleeping, so we pretend we are going to the bathroom farther off.

I climb at tree, about thirty feet up in the air, right over their heads. I load my bow, Ewan gets his knives ready, and I remind him to not kill Lynch. He nods, aims his knife, and throws it at Pierce. No one wakes up, but I hear the cannon. BOOM! They all told me they were heavy sleepers, so thats a real plus side to our situation. I shoot Duchess in the head. BOOM! Ewan gets Faina, I get Oscar. BOOM, BOOM! Three of us are left. We drag the bodies farther away so the hovercrafts could pick them up. We went to sleep somewhat happier that night. Ewan kissed me good night, and I buried my head in his chest. We were one step closer to going home.  

---------------------------------------------A.N.---------------------------------------------------

Sorry its short. Who should die next/ Should Lynch die? If so, how? Or maybe Macie will fall in love with both of them? Please comment your ideas!