Chapter 27

Katniss POV

Macie just got out of the hospital, and I am bery glad she and Ewan won the Games. On the other hand, I'm sad about the news she received about Lynch. I watched everything that went down that day. At first I didnt realize it was him who she killed, but when I got the news, it hit me like a tin of bricks.

I was running late that day because Peeta didn't set the clock correctly. As we rushed into the room where the Gamemakers were, I saw Macie kill someone. I was kind of glad here was one less person to get in their way. The light on the screen that was their tracker stopped flashing. A name popped up onto another screen, but it couldn't read the small print. I asked president Paylor who it was, and she gave me the answer straightforward. I was shocked, but not as much as I thought I would be. It was bound to happen eventually, but I never thought it would happen his way.

I know Macie never meant to kill Lynch, but at the hospital, I couldn't bear anymore pain. I took Peeta down to the condo again. We barely got there when he had an episode. It didn't surprise me at all. I slumped down the door and cried. I sat there forever listening to Peeta knocking things around inside. He finally stopped, but I wasn't done crying yet. Peeta opened the door for me, and pulled me into the room. He put me on his lap.

He holds me in his arms for a while longer. Its Time for bed, but I dont sleep for hours. I thought about everything that happened that day. The room was a disaster, but we just left it. It definitely was not a priority right now. I looked at the clock. 4:28. There's no point in staying in bed if I haven't slept a wink. I went out into the living room to watch TV. The first channel I flip to is a rerun of all the deaths including Lynch's. i can't cry anymore. There's no tears left for me to shed.

I can't even imagine what Annie was going through right then, so I decided to call her. She probably hasn't slept either. I dial her number and listen to the other line ringing.

"Hello?" Her voice is raspy, probably from crying. Mine is too.

"Hi, Annie. Its Katniss."

"Katniss! I'm so glad you called. Did you see what happened today?"

"Yes. I did. I'm so sorry. I know Macie didn't know it was him. She never meant for it to happen." I reassure her.

"I know. It's not her fault. I never met him anyway, but I'm ok. I just can't figure out why he did it. Like, why didn't he have any weapons. Or why didn't he protect himself?"

"Before the Games, he told me tht he had a love interest. Someone named, Carlyle? And Macie told me afterwards that she thought he did it because he wanted to be with her so much. She died on the first day, as you might remember, and he was miserable then. He only did it for love. Its like when Finnick went to the Capitol. So you could be safe. " I quickly regret bringing up Finnick. He was close to both of us. I choked back tears as she answered me.

"I know," she said without any emotion. "It's for the best. Well, I have to go now. I'll talk to you when you get back."

"Ok. Bye."