Chapter 14

Katniss POV

Peeta's birthday is a few days after mine. May 14th to be exact. Mine is May 8th. This year we will be turning 21. We will finally be legal to drink and gamble. On my and Peeta's birthdays we will have a small party, but are planning to go to Las Vegas the following weekend. I hear its a lot of fun. Haymitch went there with Effie last month. He had a blast. Effie had thoughts otherwise. She says things about people having no manners, and they drink too much, and they waste all their money gambling. But that's part of the fun.

Today is my big day. We invite Annie, Finn (Oliver had a business trip again), Cinna, my mother, my prep team. My prep team come around a lot more often ever since Cinna made a reappearance. Peeta baked my cake. It was chocolate flavored-my favorite-and it had forest green frosting. The words written on top said ," ❤Happy Birthday Katniss!❤" The food coloring in the frosting turned everyone's tongues green. We had a contest to see whose tongue was greener. Surprisingly, my mother won that contest. She said the cake was so good, she couldn't help herself. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. It was nice to see Prim interacting with Cinna. She really seems to love him, like I do. But not as much as Peeta.

It was time for opening presents. I told everyone I dont need anything, and all I really wanted was to be with my friends and family. But they killed the mood and brought stuff anyway. Im glad they did. From Annie and Finn, a set of necklaces made from seashells. Annie made them herself. They were absolutely beautiful.

From Cinna, my dress from my interview after my first Games. It brought back so many memories. I probably will never wear it again, seeing Ive had a child, gained a little baby weight, and Im a little bigger than I was when I was 16.

From my prep team, some makeup and hair supplies: tweezers, special hair scissors, eyeliner, foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, and Capitol produced hair spray. It works really well.

From my mother, two train tickets and two hotel passes for Las Vegas. She insisted on paying for the trips to and from Vegas, and also our hotel suite. It was very considerate of her.

From Peeta and Prim, my old book I used to write about edible plants in. Peeta and I used to sit in my room while we worked on it together. I told him what each plant looked like, and he'd draw it perfectly.

I thanked each person as they walked out the door. "Phew! That was an exhausting day, wasnt it?"

"It sure was. Im going to put Prim to bed."

"Ok. Ill be in in a few minutes." My favorite song comes on the radio: How to Save a Life by The Fray.

🎼Where did I go wrong?

I lost a friend,

Somewhere along with bitterness and,

But I stayed up,

With you all night,

And I know

How to save a life.🎼

I always sing along to that part. It reminds me of my past friendship with Gale. Especially the chorus ⬆. I lost him as a friend when he moved to district 2. I hated him for it. He left me when I needed a friend the most, after my sister died. He WAS bitter, and selfish, and many other things, but I cant say them. It hurts. After all, he did come to my wedding, even if it wasnt with him. The last part really gets to me. When he was whipped by Cray for poaching, we took him to my mother. She treated his cuts and gave him some sleeping syrup to help with the pain. I stayed by his side all night long, just hoping, wishing he would be ok in the morning. A little part of me wished that night, that none of this ever happened. That I had never gone hunting with him in the ILLEGAL woods. That maybe, the thought had never crossed my mind until now, that we never would have been friends, ever. Just two kids who pass each other in the hallway. Would both our lives be totally different? Would we even be friends now? Would I still have volunteered for my sister? Of course I would have, but if I did really die in the arena, she would starve to death. Sure, she had the baker bringing bread from time to time, and maybe she would have figured out which plants she could eat or not eat. Maybe, just maybe, she would still be alive.