Chapter 11

Peeta POV

Prim is almost a year old now! Im so proud, and I bet Katniss is too. In a week, April 17, it will be my little girl's very first birthday. Katniss and I have been taking pictures non-stop, and we also have the ultrasound pictures from every month up until she was born. Im putting together a scrapbook of every single picture we took. Its more of a present for Katniss, but I couldn't be more proud of my little girl.

Prim started saying things more than just mumbling, but nothing much. She smiles every time she sees one of us, and it just makes my heart melt. She is still using a bottle, but she can eat baby food now, which isn't easy. She spits out some of the mush and it goes right back onto the spoon. I gotta say, its kind of adorable. Prim's favorite kind of food is mushed up carrots mixed with strained peas. Katniss mixes up her own mixtures because the stuff they sell in town is from the Capitol, processed and unhealthy.

1 week later

Katniss POV

Today is Prim's birthday. Im so excited. I woke up this morning, got dressed, and hung up decorations. This year's theme is 'Deep in the Meadow', Prim's favorite song. Whenever I sing it to her, Peeta says he's never heard anything like it. I just blush.

I roll out the streamers, light green and baby blue. It might seem like its for a boy's party, but I am going to make it a bit more feminine. I twist the streamers around into one long strand, hang them up on the ceiling, and move onto the next decorations. I pin up some rabbits and bird cutouts on the wall. I add some leaves together into a centerpiece on the table and wrap the bowl in a pink ribbon. Perfect for my only daughter. I might have another child, but not yet.

We invited the usual. My mother, Annie Oliver and Finn, and Haymitch and Effie. Peeta suggested we invite my prep team and president Paylor. Being from the Capitol, they bring pretty good presents. The guests are just arriving, and as usual, Effie is the first to be here.

"Congratations you two!" She says in her Capotol accent.

"Thank you. Why don't you come inside. Snacks are just about on the table." I say.

The sky is grey and it looks as if its gonna rain soon. Just as the last person arrives, Haymitch (of course) it downpours.

"I guess we are gonna be here a little while!" Peeta says, trying to lighten the mood. We have cake that Peeta baked. It was beautiful! The cake itself was plain vanilla, but it tasted like heaven. The frosting was a light pink with white, piped swirls on the sides. On the top, written in darker pink, swirly cursive letters, was written"Happy 1st Birthday to my Angel!"

Everyone awed. A gave him a kiss on the cheek, signaling it was very sweet. Everyone enjoyed, and in the end, there was nothing left of it.

We, I, open presents, while Prim is sitting on the floor playing with Finn. Ok, present time.

"The first one is from...Annie and Oliver! Its a fish mobile for her crib!"

"The next one is from...my mother." I try to say it excitedly, but with the way she's treated me after my fathers death, who could blame me?

"Its a bunch of baby books amd clothes. Thank you."

"Here is a little something else too." She hands me a red box with a ribbon on it. I open the box, and to my surprise, its a necklace that used to belong to my sister."She could wear it when she gets a little older. I thought it would be really special for my granddaughter's first birthday." Now tears are forming in my eyes, but I dont cry.

"Thank you, mom." I say as I hug her.

The rest of the presents are just the usual. Dresses from Effie, hair ribbons from President Paylor, nail polish made for kids from Octavia, fancy Capitol clothes from Venia, a few picture books from Flavius, and a musical jewelry box from Haymitch. After all the thank-you's, the rain has died down and its safe for everyone to go home.