Assault 2

Levi was surprised when he thought he heard faint cries down the hill. Levi focused his attention that direction until he clearly heard a cry of intense pain. He wasn't the only one who reacted. Several of the corps around him grabbed their gear and started down the hill towards the sounds. He hung back a bit, taking precautions. When he finally saw the situation he felt his frustration rise. How had his scouts failed him? Now two of the members of the corps were being held captive. He saw the uncertainty in Bertholt's eyes as a thin stream of blood flowed down his neck. Had there only been one captive Levi knew he could have freed them, but with two that made things much trickier, and to top it off, he would be working with a team that didn't yet know how to anticipate his movements. Trying to free them was too risky. Though it pained him to do so he commanded the corps to stand down.

Having seen Carl Anderson with the group Levi took the final vial of the antidote and surreptitiously drank it. He had a hunch he was about to be the subject of as much pain as Carl could inflict and he had no desire to die tonight. The taste was horrendous but he kept it down. They were all rounded up and their gear was systematically removed. Levi was kept separate from the others which he wasn't surprised about. Once their gear was taken the members of the corps were forced to their knees and surrounded by the armed Military Police. He was grateful that Eren Jeager hadn't returned and hoped against hope that he wouldn't any time soon.

Once everyone was on their knees and disarmed Levi was forced in front of them. When he was close enough to Carl his knees were kicked out from under him. He had been anticipating something like this and caught himself enough that he didn't completely fall, but he still landed hard. Carl smiled in triumph down at Levi clearly waiting for him to rant or snarl in frustration. Levi remained calm. He could feel the twinging of his shoulder -having his arms roughly tied behind his back hadn't helped any- but he would not give in to it. It was true he wasn't fully healed but he knew that his mission was complete as long as Eren Jeager wasn't captured tonight. He could feel Mikasa's eyes on him. He knew she would want to break free to make sure that she protected Eren herself, but she would follow his example. Whatever he did, she would do. He didn't allow himself to break eye contact with Carl; his battle was here.

"I don't like your attitude Levi. You should respect your superior officer."

"When he is present I will show him my respect." Carl glowered and Levi used his reflexes to deaden some of the impact of the punch by turning his head just before the fist made contact and moving with the blow to allow him a quicker recovery. Carl was trying not to show how much it had hurt his elbow. Levi could feel the stinging pain in his cheek but he imagined it was nothing to the pain Carl was feeling in his overextended joint. Carl nodded to someone behind Levi and the next thing he knew there was a needle being unceremoniously jabbed into his shoulder. One glance at the contents was all he needed to confirm that his hunch had been right.

"Unfortunately I only brought two of these. I was hoping to take out Jeager with it since I apparently didn't give him enough last time. You however, will do just as well. I'm sure I can come up with some other way to kill him." Levi could see Mikasa glaring daggers at Carl out of the corner of his eye. Having been on the receiving end of that look he wished Carl luck, because if this turned into a fight, he likely wouldn't make it out of here alive. Levi twisted away from the syringe, feeling the needle catch against his bone. The sudden and violent movement snapped the glass and spilled the remaining contents. He returned his gaze to Carl keeping his expression blank.

Carl swung a fist into his gut, causing him to double over before he kicked the needle into Levi's arm. Levi yelled then returned his gaze to Carl. The man could beat on him all he wanted he would not break him. Carl did try, and Levi did his best to deaden the blows. By the time Carl was finished Levi was breathing hard, but still able to meet his eyes. He could also feel the effects of the poison starting to take hold. Had he taken enough of the antidote? Perhaps, perhaps not. He knew a full dose would kill him. The antidote would at best only delay the effects. Carl turned to the members of the Survey Corps walking along their line.