Preparations

Levi slowly opened his eyes. His entire body ached, like he'd trained too hard or been in a fight for his life. He supposed as he considered, that probably wasn't far from the truth. His arm had been bandaged and while it hurt the stinging had subsided. Although he felt stiff he was also very comfortable. Levi laid still and breathed for a few moments. His surroundings were unfamiliar but he didn't think he was in any danger. Then he realized someone else was in the room. He turned his head to look at the other bed. It took him a long time to recognize Trand through all the bruising and swelling. It appeared Trand had been treated and was sleeping as Levi had been.

Levi glanced around looking for someone else. No one appeared to be in the room with them. He thought about getting up but when he tried to sit up his arms were shaking so badly he decided against it. After all he had no desire to collapse in the hallway because his knees had given out. Instead he lay still, breathing and allowed himself eventually to fall back into sleep. He was awakened again by frantic breathing and the mention of his name.

"We have to warn Levi," Trand was saying.

"Easy," Landen replied, trying to calm Trand. "He already knows." Trand took a few more breaths to collect himself, finally realizing where he was.

"Where...? What happened to the camp?" Trand asked.

"It was attacked," Levi replied flatly. Both of them jumped as they turned, realizing he was awake. Trand had to turn his head completely to the left to see Levi since his left eye was swollen shut. Levi could tell from his expression of remorse that he blamed himself.

"It was my fault," Landen said. "Trand tried to warn me, but I wouldn't listen. I didn't think the camp was in any danger. When the Military Police left they were traveling along the river away from the camp. I didn't realize my mistake until I got back. By then the attack had already happened and we were dealing with the aftermath." Levi nodded.

"Give me a full report." Landen did, starting with when he had left the camp to scout out the Military police's position. He finished with his arrival at camp. Levi looked at him expectantly. It took Landen a moment to realize that in Levi's opinion he wasn't finished.

"What happened after that?" Levi finally asked. Landen looked uncomfortable.

"Well, Mikasa Ackerman took charge of everything after you collapsed. She could probably give a better report than I could."

"Then fetch her. In the meantime you could at least tell me what our status is now." Landen flushed.

"R-right. Now that you and Trand have awakened that just leaves Jean Kirstein who hasn't regained consciousness since he arrived. The rest of the injured are almost fully recovered, Armin Arlert is probably the worst off. The doctor has confined him to his room for another few days while his injuries heal."

"And the reports?"

"I've been collecting both personal testimonies and medical records of the incident since the night we arrived." Levi was impressed. Most would have overlooked that in favor of ensuring that the injured were recovering.

"Good, now go and get Ackerman." Landen started towards the door but stopped just before it. Levi's eyes shifted to him as he turned.

"There is one more thing; the injured from the Military Police are also being treated here." Levi closed his eyes to keep from boring holes in Landen. After all it wasn't Landen's fault that this had happened. Once he was calm enough he opened his eyes again. Landen was still standing where he had been.

"Ackerman," Levi reminded him. Landen lunged out the door. Trand was nodding off in his bed and Levi waited quietly. He didn't have to wait long before Mikasa walked in with Landen at her heels.