Assault 3

Both ran to Jean's side. He lifted Jean's upper body from the ground and stopped when Jean cried out in pain. He was fighting back tears as the muscles in his injured leg twitched and jerked beyond his control. There was so much pain, so much damage. His body hurt all over. Then Mikasa was kneeling in front of him with tears in her eyes. Stunned, he could only stare.

"Thank you so much Jean. You could have betrayed Eren but you didn't. You suffered to help him and I know neither of us deserved it. Thank you." She embraced him and although she was squeezing ribs he was pretty sure were cracked he couldn't feel the pain. It was as if her embrace made it all fade away. He barely felt it when Reiner hauled him to his feet and dragged him out of the middle of the quickly forming battle field. Reiner was gentle when he set Jean down, but Jean was in so much of a daze he barely noticed.

Sasha rushed forward when she saw Robert throw Bertholt aside. Bertholt screamed in pain clutching at his right shoulder as he landed. Reiner glanced over his shoulder but he couldn't stop as he led Jean to safety. Sasha jumped and slid forward throwing her legs in Robert's path. The giant member of the Military Police went down in a crashing heap as he was tripped. Sasha quickly pulled her feet under her and scrambled towards Bertholt who was struggling to move as he tried to protect his injured shoulder. She knelt next to him trying to gently help him to his feet. She never saw Robert get back to his and lunge forward backhanding her away from Bertholt.

Sasha's ears were ringing as she pressed a hand to her right cheek. She blinked away tears as she heard Reiner's angry roar. Reiner was charging towards Robert who was backing away quickly. He didn't make it and was soon doing his best to fend off Reiner's furious attacks. Sasha got back to her feet and helped Bertholt to his. Once he was upright she led him away from where the fighting was starting to break out in earnest. Connie was right behind them, the policeman holding him having fled. Robert turned and ran giving Reiner enough time to glance over his shoulder at Bertholt and Sasha. They were both looking back at him and he took that to mean they were okay. He turned back to the fleeing Robert. He had a score to settle.

Rustling nearby made Sasha turn quickly but it was only Eren coming out of his hiding place to join them. Judging by the look on his face he was not happy that Reiner and Sasha had gotten a piece of the action while he had been forced to stay put. Either that or he was angry about something else. Mikasa spotted him and ran to him.

"Eren," she cried in relief, embracing him briefly before stepping back. Sasha turned her attention to Jean who was still staring at nothing. She pulled some bandaging from her pack as Connie lowered himself awkwardly down next to them. He helped as she wound the bandage around Jean's wounded leg. Jean gasped in pain his eyes closing as he clenched his teeth.

"Sorry," Sasha said, but she didn't stop. With Connie's help she was able to get him bandaged fairly quickly. Bertholt watched them, still clutching his right arm to keep it from moving. Jean was also doing his best not to move, as he tried to keep his breathing steady.

"They will pay." Eren said viciously. Sasha glanced up at him and the fire burning in his eyes. "They will pay for what they've done to us." Eren swore his fists clenched. Mikasa was watching him with concern and Jean was doing his best to focus on Eren as well. Then Eren was running into the fray Mikasa at his heels.

"No, stop you idiot!" Jean called. He tried to sit up but the tension on his ribs was too much and he was forced to lay back down. He gasped for air and rapidly blinked the tears away. "We have to stop him," Jean said, barely above a whisper.

"We can't," Connie said, staring at the ground. "Besides, Mikasa's with him. He'll be fine." Jean gritted his teeth, then sighed and nodded. It would be easier for Mikasa to take care of Eren alone than it would be for her to try to protect him along with all of them. Besides, the only one in any condition to fight was Sasha. She turned to Connie.